Health Insurance Plan premium due to increase by 16 euro a month? Laya Signify

BrokeBroker

I'm on Laya Signify at the moment.

My usual premium is 81.50, due to go up to 97 at next renewel.

It's the standard comprehensive plan that gives good cover in private hospitals except Mater Private and Blackrock clinic, acceptable excess and everything else is well covered (except for knee/hip replacement in old age, which I won't be needing for some time).

Anyone on a similar plan and thoughts on this increase?

There used to be some kind of comparison website where you could select the cover you want (full cover in private, etc).

It's been so long though since I did this.

Anyone know it?

t's the standard comprehensive plan that gives good cover in private hospitals except Mater Private and Blackrock clinic, acceptable excess and everything else is well covered (except for knee/hip replacement in old age, which I won't be needing for some time).

You make that Laya Signify plan sound like a Rolls Royce one at Lidl prices which it isn't. You were paying €978 and will now be paying €1164 per year. Dermot Goode from totalhealthcover.ie has mentioned recently that an average health insurance policy with good cover is probably around €1,500.

I wouldn't call

€250 excess for overnight admissions. Overnight in-patient excess is payable a maximum of 2 per member, per contract year

OR

Private: €100 shortfall per night, including Beacon Hospital

as acceptable excesses.

The day-to-day cover is basic also.

You make that Laya Signify plan sound like a Rolls Royce one at Lidl prices which it isn't. You were paying €978 and will now be paying €1164 per year. Dermot Goode from totalhealthcover.ie has mentioned recently that an average health insurance policy with good cover is probably around €1,500.

I wouldn't call

€250 excess for overnight admissions. Overnight in-patient excess is payable a maximum of 2 per member, per contract year

OR

Private: €100 shortfall per night, including Beacon Hospital

as acceptable excesses.

The day-to-day cover is basic also.

For the price it checked all the boxes for me quite well.

Cover in all hospitals except the two high tech.
Full private cover, etc.

Now I'm just looking for similar cover at the original price or lower.

Laya are claiming all their plans have increased due to an increase in the number of claims.

Suggestions to Signify alternates?

Last edited:
Full private cover, etc.

You didn't pick up on the excess of €100 per night shortfall for private cover which is very, very high.

Suggestions to Signify alternates?

You need to give Laya and VHI a call and have a chat as I don't think you fully understand how your policy is working.

My Signify policy renews on the 1st of April, and price increases to 97 euro a month.

However, if I bought this plan new on the 31st of March, it would cost 82 euro a month.

Is there any way I can just renew it a day earlier, to avoid this price increase?

Can I somehow work it like that?

Back