Pisa to Florence by train

joer

Hi
Three of us are travelling from Pisa to florence by train . Is there any nice towns along the way that would be worth stopping off at for an hour or two. We are not tied to time .
Thanks

Siena (sp?) is half way between, looks quite nice from the train line. Not a big distance between Pisa and Florence as I remember.

N.B. Don't forget to validate your train ticket on the platform before getting on the train!

Siena is indeed beautiful, and well worth a visit, but I don't think you've got the location right? If memory serves me right Siena is south of Florence?
I did it as a day trip from Florence years ago. If you've ever seen Quantum of Solace - the part with the horses in a market Square is the Market Square in Siena.

The shortest route from Pisa to Florence is just over an hour. I'm not familiar with any towns directly on that route, but you could try Pisa to Lucca, and then get a train to Florence? I never made it to Lucca but it's supposed to be worth a visit.
It's 15 years since I was there, so my memory is a little sketchy.

How long will you be in Pisa and Florence?

There is so much to see in Florence that I am not sure it's worth breaking your trip unless there was something in particular that you wanted to see.

And I assume that there is plenty to see in Pisa as well.

If you do want to take a break on a short journey, try San Miniato

Siena and Lucca are out of the way. Siena is worth seeing, but you can do it as a bus day trip from Florence easily enough.

Brendan

We are flying to Pisa, arriving late, staying overnight and then travelling to Florence . We will spend four nights before travelling back to Pisa to stay overnight for our flight home. Perhaps we wont make any stop and just take the day trip to Sienna instead , if we have time. This will be our first time here.
Thanks for the information.

Note that museums in Florence are usually closed on a Monday, so visitors typically go to Pisa on a Monday as the Leaning Tower, etc. is open. You could get a train from Florence to Bologna, about 35 mins on the Freccia train, and spend a day there. Bologna is cool.

Depends on what you want to do, but if you get a Firenzi Card, you can skip the queues in the Ufizzi and most other museums in Florence.

Watch out for the opening times of the galleries. Some close at lunch time.

Brendan

I drove Pisa-Florence a couple of years back, and there was nothing that tempted us to stop off. Day trip to Sienna would be a much better use of time if that works out.

Thanks Leo, that answers that question . A day trip or two seems like a better option.

Reactions: Leo
Would agree with Leo, day trip to Siena would be a much better idea. Also if you're able to get to it on the way to or from Siena, San Gimignano is a gorgeous little place between Florence and Siena, worth a visit for a couple of hours if you can manage it.

Siena sounds like a lovely place to visit , as does San Gimignano. We will have to get the Firenzi card too.
Thanks to all for all the suggestions.