Petrol Prices

P

peterconn

Again prices for petrol are going to be increased this weekend by up to 16c a gallon. Its about time the Government reduced their take on fuel ot motor tax. They are the one benefiting most from the surge in oil prices.

Fair enough we do have one of the lowest prices in Europe for petrol, but other countries do not have to pay huge amounts for motor tax on their cars. In the UK for example they are paying around €1.20 per litre of petrol, but road tax is only approx €240.00 per year regardless of engine size. I would have no problem paying more for petrol, but road tax is what annoys me most.

The Government should reduce their excise take on fuel or reduce motor tax rates. My car is a necessity not a luxury.

3.5c/litre = half crown/gallon = 16c/gallon

16c a gallon

16c / 4.54609188 = 3.5c/litre

Since you are using the old English Imperial Measure (Gallons) why not use the old English Imperial Currency: 2 shillings and 6 old pence/per gallon (a half crown per gallon).

I worked in a filling station when 10 shillings would fill a car.

ajapale

Re: 3.5c/litre = half crown/gallon = 16c/gallon

They are the one benefiting most from the surge in oil prices.

I was under the impression that govt duties etc were a set amount per litre, which if it is the case would mean they aren't benefitting from the current price increase as people aren't using more petrol they are just paying more for it. I don't disagree with your general argument though.

Dowee - I remember looking into this before. It is (deliberately) complicated tax. There are at least two taxes and a levy to take into consideration. At least one is a percentage.

It makes it very difficult to compare fuel taxes with other countries.

3.5c/litre = half crown/gallon = 16c/gallon

I was uoting from the Indepenent who said 16c a gallon, i was not converting to imperial

I thinnk that should have been quoting, my "Q" is a bit funny on this keyboard!

The Indo should know better.

The relavant prices must be quoted per metric unit, so nobody (except newspaper and radio editors apparently) thinks in terms of the price per gallon anymore.

I heard the 16c bit on the radio and assumed that it was per litre. I did think this was somewhat excessive, but there are a few wars going on at the moment so it was a possibility. I know everything used to be Gallons but it has been so long now that I wouldn't know.

z

Use Litres 3.5c/litre

Hi Peter,

I know you were quoting from Press.

I heard a guy quoting from the Irish Road Haulage Assoc [broken link removed] and he quoted the gallon figure as well. When pressed by the interviewer he admitted that gallon prices were more dramatic than litre prices.

I think most people buy petrol and diesel in litres now so it makes more sense and is possible to compare prices accross the eurozone as well.

ajapale

Re: Use Litres 3.5c/litre

Dowee - I remember looking into this before. It is (deliberately) complicated tax. There are at least two taxes and a levy to take into consideration. At least one is a percentage.

Thanks XXXAPXXX, didn't know this. Personally the Govt will be getting less duty out of me as this current price hike has provided me with the impetus I needed to get back onto my bike a hell of alot more.

Price of petrol

Petrol COSTS about 20-30c a litre. Duty is about 40c and the levy is charged per tonne so difficult to work out exact cost for litre. VAT at 21% is charged on the price of petrol including duty, and 13.5% on home heating oil, so the govt. are gaining from increases in oil prices.
On the other side of the coin, if they reduce the excise duty,this will have a knock-on effect on VAT receipts.

Re: Price of petrol

You'd have to wonder what "VALUE is ADDED" by the government, since the bulk of the VAT on fuel is charged on the Duty not the fuel.

Bah!

-Rd

Back