Personal pension vs PRSA

Shaz

Pls excuse my ignorance. What is the difference between having a personal pension and having a PRSA?

I wish to put in the €7500 from my SSIA into a pension. I already have a company Defined Benefit Scheme but I do not want the money to in there. I want to be able to withdraw it in a year's time. So should it be a personal pension or a PRSA that I should be opening?

You cannot withdraw from any pension until you reach a certain age. You really want a high return deposit a/c with full access - I think Northern Rock would be one of the ones for something like that - some of the other financial institutes offer something simular to their ssia a/c holders.

Alot of informative threads already on this topic.

But then you won't get the €2,500 from the government!...

If it was as simple as that we would all be lodging €7500 of our ssia money for 1 year in order to get another €2500 from the government and then withdrawing it!

That 2500 from the government is a nonsense unless you're on the lower rate of income tax...it's not worth a damn

Exactly, and your money is tied up for a long number of years in the pension fund (depending on one's age)!

The 7500/2500 bonus is only a benefit if a) you pay tax only at 20%
or b) if you've already put in the maximum amount for your age group.

The 7500/2500 bonus is only a benefit if a) you pay tax only at 20%
or b) if you've already put in the maximum amount for your age group.
Most importantly c) you have to leave it in the pension fund and can't simply withdraw it after a year!

I thought the minister after announcing this pension thingy imposed the law that monies cannot be withdrawn until after 1 year.

If pensions cannot be withdrawn after a year why did he need to impose the law?

Shaz that rule was for people who are already past retirement age - such as a 65 year old...to stop them putting it in for ten days and getting the bonus (a 65 year old can retire straight away because of their age).

Back