Personal debts that i thought were under control

• Thread starter pixiebean22
  • Start date
P

pixiebean22

I posted on here a good few months ago about having problems clearing debt and agreeing installment plans with the different institutions. I eventually agreed repayments with my bank and my credit card company (both BOI) and all has been going to plan.

Unfortunately I was made redundant again in May of this year but this has not effected my ability to repay as I found a job almost immediately.

Today, however, I had a missed call from an unknown number and then a voicemail from a woman in Croskerry Solicitors (who I believe are quite dominant in the debt collections area) and she stated she was ringing in relation to my Bank of Ireland account and for me to return her call.

I have no credit in my phone (that is now a luxury unfortunately) and have no other way of calling her back so I have sent an e-mail to them asking for them to either e-mail me or post me out (I gave them my address) full details of the matter.

I understood from my agreement with BOI that as long as I continued to make the agreed repayments until such a time as I could increase to the original amount that there would be no problem. I also have received no correspondence from BOI saying that they were starting legal proceedings against me (which I presume they now are).

I am now extremely stressed and panicked and I really don't know where I stand. Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation and how did it pan out?

(Just some background details about my debts, I owe €18,000 on a personal loan and €1,000 on my credit card. A couple of months ago I asked BOI to cancel my CC as eventhough I have agreed a repayment plan with them, every month a new statement issues with an overdue balance because I am only clearing as much as I can afford which means that it will be quite impossible to ever clear the balance if it just stays the same with interest being applied each month, they of course refused this request.)

Any advice much appreciated.

Hi Pixiebean,

Very sorry to hear of your situation. It must be really tough to feel you're getting on top of things only to have them explode once again.

I have not been in this situation so can't offer the advice you are looking for. I would say though that you need to talk to Croskerry by phone - I know you dont have credit, but you either need to get some or borrow a phone.
Some of your stress is coming from not knowing what you face. They may not respond to your email or may wait some time before responding. At least if you phone them you will know what exactly you face - that will help you deal with it and reduce your stress levels.

Do you have something in writing from BOI with regard to the agreement you reached? Contact them and ask them exactly what the story is.

The solicitors will ring you back so don't worry about chasing them.

Just take a deep breath and relax. Nothing is going to happen to you. Even if it goes to Court, if you can show that you are making the maximum payments possible a judge would be reluctant to find against you. It sounds like you are trying to fix the mess you are in. It's all you can do. Whatever you do, don't make yourself ill with worry.

I will suggest the usual of contacting MABS etc as well. If you feel the bank are acting aggressively and unreasonably, don't be afraid to contact the Ombudsman too.

Yes. I correspond with BOI by post only as I can't make or receive phone calls during work hours and I find it's easier to keep track of things in writing. I wrote to them with my proposal and have kept copies of the back and forth correspondence and the letter from BOI saying they were accepting my proposal.

I have contacted MABS three times and once I received an envelope full of leaflets and the other two times I received no reply, I understand they are probably overwhelmed in these times but I don't have much faith in them.

Back