permanenttsb text scam?

Gervan

I was sent a text from 3DPtsb this evening saying a new device had been paired to my account. If not done by me, to visit link removed [ Please think before you post and don't put in links to suspect websites - Brendan ]

I didn't see the text till after 8pm, when the phone lines had closed. I sent an instagram query (I don't tweet) to the bank asking if this is a scam. Haven't had a reply.
It probably is, as I don't see how anyone could have paired a new device without my log in info, but I'd love confirmation, or I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a scam.

They haven't paired a new device, they just want you to login on a fake website so they can capture your login credentials.

One of the tell tale signs is how you feel after receiving the text (i.e. that you need to do something).

Don't click the link, it's a scam.

Sleep well.

PTSB have regular messages in the message centre within the app, telling you they never ask people to open links.

I obviously didn't open the link, but am still unable to log in to the app. The phones are open this morning, but giving a wait time of 20 minutes or more. With so much fraud about, the banks really need a 24 hour phone service for their customers.

Paid, yes, all sorted now. I deleted the app, reinstalled and re-registered. Then the first two times I tried to log in, was told I had "connectivity" problems.
It must be sheer coincidence that the scam text and the app misbehaving happened together...
On the Ptsb website it does warn about texts, just giving one example. Perhaps there are too many versions floating around.

A few weeks ago I received a phone call from a very well spoken person supposedly from PTSB, he said their mail to me was being returned and could I confirm my address. I asked him where they where sending it, he said it was classified information so I told him my information was also classified.
By the way I have never had PTSB account for years.

Back