period houses, the real costs??

M

moriarta

Hi

I have sale agreed on a period house circa 1900, but after recieving the surveyors report I am unsure whether to go ahead, it basically sounds pretty bad.

The main concern I had was the dipping uneven floor upstairs, is this a sure sign of woodworm and disaster underneath?And is this really expensive? Would a more detailed report be better?

Any advice welcome!!

Woodworm, although a problem, is not too bad as you can spray for it before you move in. Dry rot is the biggest and most expensive problem, as is subsidence. Even these are fine if caught in time.

Dipping floorboards upstairs can simply mean that the joists are sagging due to age, rot etc. If this is the case then the floor boards are lifted to check that there is nothing more sinister and these can be replaced.

I should point out that my only experience of this is that I own a house of that vintage and have had these types of jobs done with great success. If the whole house was lopsided now, I'd worry because that is more likely to be subsidence. Why don't you ask your surveyor's advice. He/she may be able to put your mind at rest.

It's not unusual to find uneven/ dipping floors in an older property. This can be due to a number of factors including: inadequate structural supports, undersized timbers, overloaded floors, rot or decay, removal of intermediate walls etc. Structural reports (such as those as generally carried out in connection with a potential purchase) are limited in that they only identify readily visible defects which are not covered up. In order to rule out rot or decay you need to carry out some opening up works, which of course are destructive by nature. A surveyor with experinece in fdealing with older proprties should be able to advise you (with the aid of a moisture meter readings) as to the likelihood of wet or dry rot. Woodworm infestation is generally easily identified. Ask your surveyor for his views, with the knowledge that no restoration building project can be accurately costed without opening up of all covered areas.

Back