Pensioners paid in Euros being fleeced by Pension companies

roker

This shows how the banks have it all sown up.

I received my first monthly UK pension payment from a Private pension trust today.
I was surprised to find that although the payslip is in pounds sterling they paid me in Euro. Even though I have a pound sterling bank account set up in Ireland.

The annoying part is that their exchange rate is terrible at 1.146 and to-days rate is 1.29 meaning that I got €48.53 instead of €54.60, the rate has never been this low in the last year at 1.146 (look up Google finance)
I will loose this plus more every month when I receive my full amount.

I had a heated discussion with these people because they refuse to send sterling to my sterling account outside of the UK, or send a cheque, or solve this problem, blaming the bank. They also said I cannot use an Irish bank located in the UK.
They are sending out 4,000 pensions (or was it 40,000). each month in Euros. Thousands of pensioners with a much higher pension than myself living abroad in Ireland and Europe are loosing out on these bad exchange rates. The only people gaining are the banks.

Example; Take a pensioner with £350 per week
At their exchange rate 1.146 = €401
At todays rate 1.29 = €451

I am trying to set up a Sterling account in the UK to deposit this pension into, so that I can exchange at the best time and rate, or use it when I go to the UK, but I know the answer before I try, (they will not do it because I have an Irish address)
How do people set up offshore accounts?
Barclays Isle of Man would do it but they wante £10 a month just to maintain the account (and for the priveledge of having a regular deposit)

Shabby treatment to pensioners

Not sure if they can help with UK pension but I would suggest the Pensions Ombudsman [broken link removed] as a first port of call. If they can't help they would surely know who can.

1st Point - You have most likely been engaging with an imbecile on the phone who has no intention of helping you and would prefer to give you misinformation rather than assist you.
2nd Point - An EU directive makes euro payments within the EU very inexpensive (75c the last time i checked) banks cant charge more than that. Sending GBP internationally costs more and this sounds like the pension company are trying to save on the transfer fee by having it converted to Euro.
3rd Point- If you had moved to Australia and closed your account in Ireland, what business is it of the Pension Company, do they have a say in your personal life & business?
4th Point - That FX rate is dreadful, however you'll always have the currency risk, but there will likely be times that it works for you and times when it works against you, but yes that rate is terrible.
5th Point - You should write to them and make an official complaint about the situation and also make a specific complaint about the idiot on the phone.
6th Point - Have a nice retirement!

Back