Pension strawman proposals for tax relief

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I suspect that these proposals reflect the government's plans to reduce the marginal rate of tax relief on pensions

I attach the relevant chapter, but here is the summary

STRAWMAN PROPOSALS

FINANCIAL INCENTIVES PROVIDED BY THE STATE

• The State will provide an incentive for people to participate in the AE system.

• Although both the value and the mechanism for providing this incentive will only be finalised following this consultation, the incentive is, for the purpose of this Strawman, presented as a contribution worth €1 for every €3 the employee contributes towards their retirement savings account.

• Where the employee makes contributions in excess of minimum requirements, the State may also make additional contributions subject to a maximum level of contributions of 2% of annualised salary.

• The State contributions will match employee contributions on a pro-rata basis subject to a cap – possibly linked to a defined annual earnings level such as the proposed €75,000 maximum earning threshold or an average annual earnings threshold as reported by the Central Statistics Office.

Attachments

• Pensions strawman proposals for tax relief.pdf
    93.3 KB · Views: 360
I think that this is what this means

The employee pays in €300 from his after-tax income.
The state adds a further €100
So the total fund is €400

The existing system

upload_2018-9-28_12-22-21.png

So under the current system I end up with €500 in my pot

But under the strawman proposal, I will end up with €400 in the pot.

But it's marginally more attractive for 20% tax payers

upload_2018-9-28_12-24-39.png

Under the existing system someone who sacrifices €300 of net income has €375 in the pot.

But under the new system, they will have €400 in the pot.

Brendan

Last edited:
I was about to post requesting clarification about the very issue you addressed above Brendan- "great minds/ fools" and all that.... :)

Back