Pension Payments - regular/monthly versus end of year?

F

FatherDougal

Which , in the current climate , is the optimum method of depositing funds in one's pension - monthly sums or Lump sum at end of tax year , for self-employed? Tx & blessings on you all!

Re: Pension Payments

If you can, now is the time to lob as much as you can into your pension fund, as fund prices have dropped therefore you'll buy more units.

I disagree - timing the market is a mug's game. You would most likely be better off in the long run adopting a steady as she goes approach and just drip feeding a regular amount in each month for as long as you can.

Monthly would be better from a "dollar" cost averaging point of view towards mitigating the effects of transient volatility.
The last paragraph from the wikipedia article:
Dollar cost averaging has been widely criticized by economists and academic finance researchers as more of a marketing gimmick than a sound investment strategy (a way to gradually ease worried investors into a market, investing more over time than they might otherwise be willing to do all at once). Numerous studies of real market performance, models, and theoretical analysis of the strategy have shown that in addition to having the admitted lower overall returns, DCA does not even meaningfully reduce risk when compared to other strategies, even including a completely random investment strategy.

Note the title of the paper referenced: A Note on the Suboptimality of Dollar-Cost Averaging as an Investment Policy and the first line:
The widespread notion that dollar-cost averaging can help minimize the risk of investing all of one's capital in the market at an inappropriate time is aptly stated by Malkiel ...
I never claimed that DCA was "optimal" or perfect and I also said "mitigate" not "minimize".

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Back