pension in error

viztopia

a relation has claimed a pension in error. they are happy that it wsin error and are willing to pay the amount back to the social welfare. what i would like to know is how would they go about this and will there be a penalty from the social welfare? at this moment the only people that know about is me and my uncle. the amount claimed in error is about €25,000 since 2002.

Just curious - how did they manage to claim it and how did SW manage to pay it out in error!?

it was a pension that was means tested. after a year my uncle went back to work which meant that he was no longer entitled to the pension.

You'll get the details here:-

http://www.welfare.ie/foi/debtmgt.html

As Executor of the estate of a deceased relative I had to deal with a major overpayment (14 years). A penalty wasn't applied but I had to settle the debt in a lump sum from the estate. Each case is different however and ability to pay is taken into account when determining how to pay off the debt.

Contact the Local Office in the first instance who will advise how to proceed. If as it seems, it's the Non-Contributory Old Age Pension, contact the relevant Dept directly at:-

Old Age Non-Contributory Pension Section
Pensions Services Office
College Road
Sligo.
Telephone: Sligo LoCall 1890 500 000 (from within the Republic of Ireland)
Dublin (01) 7043000

Last edited:
Back