Pension/Benefits Advice Please

Lifeinthesun

I am hoping to retire in 2022 age 55, living a few months between Ireland and abroad. I have worked and have 35 years of prsi contributions. Is there any reason that I would not receive my state pension at 67/68/69 ? Because I would not have worked for approx 10/12 years before applying!!
Also my wife works 5 days and it looks like it will be reduced to 2 days. She can do these 2 days remotely while we are abroad, and in Ireland. I understand she can claim jobseekers benefit or other benefit (advise) but can that be paid into her Irish bank while she is abroad for say 2/3 months at a time?? or will there be complications with this! Advice needed please

I think you will be unlikely to receive a full state contributory pension in 2032/33 or 34 with 35 years of contributions.

I think you will be unlikely to receive a full state contributory pension in 2032/33 or 34 with 35 years of contributions.
Even though I would have made the full contributions necessary in that 35 years of working! I know there would be a 12 year gap before applying but it seems unfair!!

The rules will probably be changed by 2032 and the length of contribution increased but who knows?

The cost of the pensions is increasing as the population ages - there will simply not be enough people working and paying taxes/PRSI to allow the current level of pensions to continue to be paid.

It will not be pretty as the younger generation may well rebel against paying more and more taxes to enable the retired generation to enjoy the pensions the current generation do and which they will not

One of the qualifying conditions for Jobseekers Benefit is that the claimant is resident in the State. Absence from the state (other than on a pre-agreed 2 week holiday period per year) will result in disqualification of the claim.

Search for "Absence from the State" on this page - the operational guidelines for JB

Even though I would have made the full contributions necessary in that 35 years of working! I know there would be a 12 year gap before applying but it seems unfair!!
It’s got nothing to do with the gap before applying . That wont effect your claim . Based on the current rules, you need 40 years contributions to get the full pension . With 35 years contributions, you will get a partial pension .

Currently the Dept calculate your entitlement based on two models:
- totals and average or
- total contribution approach (1/40th for each year, so 40 years contributions gets the full State Pension)
The Total Contribution Approach was due to become the only calculation model in 2021, but this has been deferred pending the review being carried out by the recently established Pensions Commission (due to report mid 2021...perhaps).
But it is inevitable that change will have to happen in the future. We just don’t know what or when.

Back