Pension and Illness Benefit

P

paul290603

Hello I would greatly appreciate and help, time or direction with my query as I am not sure where else to ask.

Basically I have been receiving illness benefit ( 196 per week ) after been left disabled after an operation.

I have found out recently ( after 5 years!!! ) that I should be able to claim my pension which I had been paying into during my working life. The amount I will receive per week is 86 euro.

My question is does this now effect my illness benefit? Can I still get the 196 euro per week as well as the pension each week because if not I don't think I will bother with the pension.

Again Many Thanks for any help!!!

Regards
Paul290603

Illness benefit is based on PRSI contributions, so isn't means-tested and your pension should have no effect on your payment.

If it's unlikely that you'll be able to return to work, you could apply for Invalidity Pension, which is also based on PRSI contributions. It pays at a higher rate than Illness Benefit.

Have a look here for more information and a link to an application form:

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/Pension/Pages/ip.aspx

Many thanks for your reply and time Gipimann, I appreciate it. I will look into that link now :)

Many Thanks and Regards

Paul290603

Back