Pension advisors

If you're a union member, your union will probably organise regular educational sessions on pensions, and will have deals with providers (often Cornmarket) for AVC schemes. Don't walk blindly into such schemes, and compare them against other options available to you, in terms of charges. If you go outside of the chosen provider, you may have to make your own arrangements for paying contributions and claiming tax relief.
I'm not a union member and frankly I probably would walk blindly into a scheme as I'm completely clueless in this domain.

Well now that you have a little bit more insight why not contact Liam as you have dealt with him before. He doesn't bite I'm pretty sure although I haven't seen him for a while.

No, I was out of work for 3years so couldn't return to the old scheme. Definitely on the single scheme now which I understand I need to purchase AVC's directly for. I'm completely confused by it all right now so I think an independent pension advisor might help. I also don't know the estimate for my current pension so would my current employer confirm that?
If you were on an approved career break that isn't counted as a break in service for pension purposes as its approved leave.

If it wasnt an approved career break but you resigning for a period of time that's a break in service.

Just be sure.

Again make an appt with your local pension department. I've allowed staff time off but it's not an entitlement.

Back