Pension Adjustment Order & Subsequent Death

dublinwoman72

I have a somewhat unusual query. If spouse X gets annual pension & retirement lump sum benefits from spouse Y ruled through a PAO, if Spouse X dies, do the benefits revert back to Spouse Y ? In other words, say Spouse X gets 20 per cent of spouse Y's annual pension & retirement lump sum, but Spouse X dies before Spouse Y retires, can the benefits then revert back to Their "original owner" Spouse Y, or are they "permanently gone" if you like. If it was post retirement, obviously the lump sum is gone, but would the annual pension revert back to Spouse Y ?

if it is a DB pension and the circumstances from the OP happens how can that pension scheme calculate “an amount”? Do they figure out the potential transfer value and offer 20% of that? What is the tax implication for the estate?

A DC scheme seems much more straightforward, it is a known value at time of death, but there is still the tax issue.

And what if the spouses estate went to the kids? Removing 20% from a pension is very significant. Would I as a child of divorced parents with one dead want the remaining parent to live with less than an ideal pension so i could get a lump sum from it on the death of the parent. Plus there would be no mechanism for the children to say, we don’t want that part of the estate, leave it in the pension fund.

Back