Penny for your thoughts...

Jazz01

On the news, on twitter, even got a few WhatsApp messages ( it's a quiet time here at work :rolleyes: ) about the queues outside a "well known" clothing store which is re-opening it's doors today... Have we, as a nation, lost our marbles or have we just lots of cents & euros to spend? Is this what we crave?
Similar scenes outside a global fast food company, as well as a self assembly furniture store. Just a distraction to everything? Or the wanting of "some kind of normal" that we want to return to?

How many of the people in the queues for the clothing store and fast food are teenagers? With the schools closed...

As for the furniture store, people stuck at home, time on hands, home improvement mania sets in.
It's been going this way since the 1980s, look at all the home improvement, home adoration, lifestyle shows, cooking programmes... you get to a certain age and focus turns inwards on the house (which if you've bought is the most expensive commitment you will ever make).
Especially as people aren't spending on summer hols & pubs and restaurants to the same extent, the budget is probably going on making the house more of a home entertaining space.

Last edited:
It looks like we'll be in Ireland for some time yet to come. We've spent a few bob with additions to the Costa del Back-Garden. It's nice when it is sunny. We didn't waste money on a bar-b-queue as the kitchen is jutting out on the yard . . . . err! I mean the terrace. We live in strange times and this Covid-19 business ain't nearly over by a long-shot. I must say we never spent less money in 3 months and when the bargains for hotel stays come up we'll be off within Ireland.

On the long queues in Penneys . . . I have no problems. The economy needs money and purchasing stuff in Ireland keeps people employed and so it is with McDonalds too. Money was made round to go round and I hope we can all be a bit patriotic and keep some of our hard earned money in Ireland. The alternative is unthinkable; look after our own country first, I suggest.

Looking at the Vigil Mass online earlier, I note our Parish Priest suggested spending money within the immediate area even if things cost a little bit more. He manufactured a few verbal ads while speaking from the altar. If we all pull together (as the O'Donovan Brothers said "Pull Like Dogs") perhaps we won't be too long in the recession? We've got the cure in our own hands, let's do it.

Back