Peak estate agent arrogance?

Carnmore

After an experience today, I'm wondering apropos this thread title.

A local estate agent only occasionally replies to email/Daft/MyHome enquiries about properties they are selling.

Upon meeting the agent today, I mentioned this and their reply was "you do send a lot of emails", made no apology for not replying to said emails, went on about how many emails they have to deal with and said it's better to pick up the phone (there is often no answer and no return of call when a message is left).

I don't know how we've got to this stage (again) and whether it can last.

Thoughts?

After an experience today, I'm wondering apropos this thread title.

A local estate agent only occasionally replies to email/Daft/MyHome enquiries about properties they are selling.

Upon meeting the agent today, I mentioned this and their reply was "you do send a lot of emails", made no apology for not replying to said emails, went on about how many emails they have to deal with and said it's better to pick up the phone (there is often no answer and no return of call when a message is left).

I don't know how we've got to this stage (again) and whether it can last.

Thoughts?
There's limited supply and lots of demand. The seller is their customer, not the buyer.

There's limited supply and lots of demand. The seller is their customer, not the buyer.

I realise that.

It doesn't negate basic professional courtesy and makes for an interesting concept that this is discretionary and based upon the "need" to provide it.

I realise that.

It doesn't negate basic professional courtesy and makes for an interesting concept that this is discretionary and based upon the "need" to provide it.
I agree. Professionalism from professionals is as hit and miss as it is from people in any other job.

I had a Blackrock based EA out recently to value the house and pitch for the business. I never got a reply afterwards. She came across as a pain to me.

After saying to me her fee was 1.5% she then tried to impress me (?) by saying that she had a new intern starting who had spent 5 years as a first class air steward and was great. I struggled to see how her intern is of relevance to me. A car crash experience...

EAs don't have to work for their money in this market, and don't spend too much time sitting around the office. They much rather do their talking over the phone where they can get a better sense if whether you are serious about buying a particular property.

enquiries about properties they are selling.
There are two issues they are interested in. Do you want to view the property? Having done so, do you want to bid on the property.

In my experience estate agents neither know nor care anything about the U-value of the windows or if the alarm system still works.

Personally speaking, any estate agent I ever had the misfortune to deal with were only interested if I turned up at their office.

EAs don't have to work for their money in this market, and don't spend too much time sitting around the office. They much rather do their talking over the phone where they can get a better sense if whether you are serious about buying a particular property.
The hard work is competing with other Estate Agents to engage the client. After that the property sells itself.

Back