PC info

G

geegee

Could someone please tell me how I find out the following:

1) Which version of IE my pc is running.
2) Which Service packs are attached to the operating system.
3) What is PSTN?
4)How do I temporarily disable Zonelabs Firewall.

Thanks in advance.

gg

Answers

1) Which version of IE my pc is running.
Click the 'Help' menu & choose 'About Internet Explorer'. Version number will be displayed.
2) Which Service packs are attached to the operating system.
Go to your Control Panel and choose 'Add or Remove Programs' and major updates (like SP2) will appear in the list. Or go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and let the update wizard tell you what service packs need to be installed.
3) What is PSTN?
A brings up
Dunno.

Conflict of Interest: Microsoft

Re: Answers

PSTN (to you and me) is the telephone network.

I can't remember, but I think it includes ISDN (since it is still public, switched and a telephone network), however for most interpretations it means the plain boring analog telephone line into your house.

To disable Zonelabs you just right click on the zonelabs icon at the bottom right of the screen and select exit. It will warn you that shutting down your firewall is a bad thing - this is correct and only do it if you have a very good reason.

z

Zag,

I only need to temporarily disable Zonelabs rather than shut it down completely. Is this possible?

Re: .

By 'temporarily' - do you mean for a short period of time, or for 1 specific application/program? Most firewalls have a facility for you to instruct the firewall to permit access for trusted applications.

Have you looked in the help texts that come with Zonealarm?

Rainyday,

I have looked in the Zonelabs help menu but it does not mention temporary disablement.

gg

Forgot to answer your question.

By 'temporarily' - do you mean for a short period of time, or for 1 specific application/program?

I am having problems accessing the www.prizebonds.ie website and it has been suggested it may be my firewall which is causing it.

gg

Re: .

I am having problems accessing the www.prizebonds.ie website and it has been suggested it may be my firewall which is causing it.
Sounds unlikely to me, but I'm not an expert on such things. There is probably little risk in exiting your firewall for a short period while testing it out, but I wouldn't hang around on a broadband connection with no firewall for long.

If you post more specific details of the problems you are having, others may be able to help.

I cannot access the prizebonds website. When I type in www.prizebonds.ie into the address bar MSN search error comes up. Then, when I double click on the address the drop-down menu the progress bar moves very slowly and then "this page cannot be isplayed comes up". Any ideas about what may be wrong?

Do websites other than the Prize Bonds one work OK? If so then have you made sure that there are no nasties on your PC?

Did the Prize Bonds site ever work OK on your PC? Have you tried another browser?

prizebonds

Works on my Internet Explorer - there is a Macromedia Flash program running at the top left of the Prizebonds website so maybe this is causing a problem - download the free Flash player. Otherwise, try Mozilla Firefox browser - it may just get you over the problem. Alternatively, I believe that installing Windows XP service pack 2 installs a clean version of IE but I'm not sure.

Back