PC Games

G

Gamer

I am looking to buy some pc games for the kids and yours truly eg golf, simms, chess etc.
Where is the best place to buy ?

Games

Game store sometimes have good deals. You can download playable demos of most games from the internet or from the cds that come with games magazines.

Re: Games

Just beware - if you have XP or 2000 and buy some of the older (good value) games they may well not work.

Check the back of the box to see that your OS is specifically included. I have been caught a few times (but not anymore) by assuming that something which is supposed to run under 98 will also run under 2000.

This doesn't really apply to new games, but for these you need to beware that your machine has enough oooomph to run the games. I have seen a few games where a machine bought 6 months ago didn't have enough power to keep the display updated. This normally applies to things that rely on lots of 3D images.

z

We bought SIMS 2 recently but had to return it as the computer did not have the space for 4 discs!

In the case of returns to Game its 10 days return policy but with Smyths its 48 hours return only.

Dont know your location but PC World has a big selection and there was no problem when I had to return a game which was over-spec'd for my laptop. They just placed the funds back onto my credit card. Thats in Liffey Valley Retail Park.

Also note PC World isnt too bad with prices either. I bought some speackers in there which were exactly 50euro more expensive in Argos just a few doors down. A firewire cable in PC World is also 20euro cheaper than the same one in Currys right next door.

Game have changed the returns policy on PC games. They do not accept returns anymore. They are emphasising the required specs on the boxes to purchasers. They clainm its the game developers that have made this decision.

They clainm its the game developers that have made this decision.

I can't imagine how game developers would have any say on what individual retailers do as regards their returns policy. Sounds like a load of balony to me.

Sorry it may have been the game distributers rather than the game developers, but GAME were definitly saying it wasn't their idea.

Sorry it may have been the game distributers rather than the game developers

It sounds like something a retailer might try saying alright but it's still bullsh*t.
Distributors have absolutely no say over an independent retailers returns policy.
I'd imagine GAME are trying to enforce a no returns policy because of gamers copying games or something like that. The story they're trying to fob off is probably just what the lads in the shop have been told to say by the manager. Or something along those lines. Still strange mind you.

Yeah its a pity. I don't generally need to return games because I check them out on the net first, but I feel sorry for parents that are going to buy games for their kids and then find they dont run on the kids 2 year old PC.

Yeah. I agree. Mind you, I'd say they'll have their hands full trying to refuse a parent who brings a game back.
I'd say they just use it as they see fit. If mammy is bringing something back that junior couldn't use then I'd bet they'd take it back.

Back