PC for Music Only

D

davido

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a PC just to store my music. I want upload my music cd's and hook the PC up to my amp. I also want to be able to download music and store it. Has anybody done this and what suggestions would you have.

Cheers,

davido

You could nearly get a pc for the same price as the mp3 player for around 500e.
all you need is an internet connection and a mic socket out. You could get a decent sound card if youre an audio phile and then buy extra hard disk space as needed.
Then use limewire or shareaza to download music.
Beware tho as the [broken link removed] aint too happy lately.

I have hooked up the pc to the stereo and its grand but I usually have a 20gb mp3 player hooked up to the stereo and it works great. Go into peats and get a mic out and stereo in connector for 5-6 euro. cant remember the last time I put a cd on.

> You could nearly get a pc for the same price as the mp3 player for around 500e

I got a 20GB Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (the old CD player clamshell model) on Amazon.co.uk for c. €250 including a wired FM radio and voice recorder remote and credit card infra red remote control. This can store more than my whole CD collection and has digital optical and analog line outs so that I can connect it to my hi-fi system as well as using it portably. Of course you still need access to a PC anyway to load and manage the contents of such MP3 players...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking along the lines of a PC because I want to save space and between the stereo bits and bobs and all the cd's I have, space is becoming tight. I think having a pc hooked up to my amp in the corner of a room would allow me to manage my collection and reduce the amount of space devoted to all this dramatically. I know there are minor implications for sound quality with MP3. If I was to store my cd's on the pc would there be any major sound sacrifices?

sound

> If I was to store my cd's on the pc would there be any major sound sacrifices?

Unless youre an audiophile who has their ear tuned to high and low frequencys, in which case you wouldnt ever have bought a cd and stuck with vinyl, then no, there are no sound sacrifices.
I think they strip out the sounds at the top and low end that your ear generally cant hear so that they can save space when putting the songs on to cd.
If you rip from a cd to mp3 and then play it on your pc, youre still playing the same digital bits of information. Like I said tho, unless youre a SERIOUS audiophile, youre never gonna know the difference.
Im sure someone will come on here and say thats wrong but thats my understanding of it anyway.

sound

> If you rip from a cd to mp3 and then play it on your pc, youre still playing the same digital bits of information.

This is not strictly true since MP3 utilises a lossy compression scheme which means that some of the information is lost. However if you notice any problems you can always convert to MP3 at a higher sampling rate (128kbps is a common one but you can go higher if storage space is not at a premium as might be the case on some portable MP3 players) and/or using variable bit rate encoding. There's loads of information about MP3 and related issues out there on the web so get Googling...

sound

Thanks all. I'm not so much of a sound geek that I would notice any compressions. I'll jump in and give it a try.

Back