Paypal Problems? What is going on these days

pudds

About a year ago PP started opening a direct debit in my UB account with no permission from me
and I they were covering themselves with about 3 times the cost of a traction so I closed my PP account.

Last week I was shopping on a hardware web site in this country and after filling in all the purchasing details
except my bank details, I was asked to choose from one of these, PAYPAL OR SAGE something and under each
was written, no account needed They didn't want my bank card
So I couldn't make a purchase

Yesterday I purchased an item from the uk price €13 and paid by Mastercard Debit Card no problem
but the transaction is showing up in my kbc bank as Paypal and a long code which represents the seller
but I've paid for it so what is going on.

Are the Joe soaps of this world's bank card payment slowly not being accepted any more.

What

I'll admit I'm confused about the PP DD from the UB thing - nobody can set up a DD without your permission. PP can take money for payment from whatever source you tell them to i.e. 'preferred way of payment' - payment from balance, bank or DC/CC.
I don't think our bank cards are being slowly phased out or anything. Some sites use PP as an intermediary payment system and you don't need a PP account - they process it using your DC or CC. PP may be a more secure, cheaper and/or faster payment clearing option for some companies/sites.
If you're bothered go to the site again, put something in the basket and go to the checkout. When you're at the checkout have a look again at all the fine print, ticked boxes, icons/logos, etc., and look for what payment/clearing system they use. If you're still none the wiser then email the site and ask for clarification.

Is it possible that in both of these cases you're dealing with paying *to* a paypal account using a credit card, not from a paypal account?

I was asked to choose from one of these, PAYPAL OR SAGE something and under each
was written, no account needed They didn't want my bank card
So I couldn't make a purchase
Did you click one of them to see if you could pay *to* paypal or sage using card details without requiring a paypal account yourself?
Yesterday I purchased an item from the uk price €13 and paid by Mastercard Debit Card no problem
but the transaction is showing up in my kbc bank as Paypal and a long code which represents the seller
Tesco shows up on my statement when I buy something from them even though I don't have a Tesco account.

Sage are a payment processor for processing card payments . Are you sure you couldn’t pay using your card . I use plenty of websites that use sage and you just enter your card details .

I have seen no evidence that any e-commerce websites are phasing out the ability to use cards using secure payment processors

Historically, when you added and confirmed your bank to your PayPal, a direct debit was established between PayPal and your bank for use during bank funded payments. What this meant was if you paid for something using Paypal, potentially Paypall will pull the money from your bank account to fund your Paypal account pay for what you are buying. I presume permission to do this is buried in the Paypal T&C's. I presume this is still the set up

Back