Paying bill for boiler service - text scam?

scallywag

I recently ordered a boiler service (for my mother's house actually, but I doubt it makes any difference). I ordered it from Bord Gais without actually being a customer - they allow that.

They said not to pay on the day, I would be billed later. Today I got a text with an urecognisable link, asking me to click it and pay.

Now I'm pretty sure this is legitimate, because the boiler service was done. However, should they really be sending texts like this, when the whole world is telling us not to click links in suspicious texts?

In the end (after trying to call Bord Gais but failing) I did click the link. It takes me to a website "tal.phonovation.com", which requests my credit card details.

As I say I'm pretty sure it's legit, but at the same time, it goes against everything we've been told. I'll wait and see if a paper bill comes too, that might solve it.

Comments?

Follow your own advice - don't click the text link.

Did you need to supply an email address when ordering the service, if so, did that come from Bord Gáis ? Any links from the Bord Gáisweb site itself to allow you to "pay for boiler service" ?

Edit - checking the BG site:
How to Pay: The cost of the gas boiler service can be paid by the following methods: prepayment by debit or credit card, monthly direct debit installments or via your Services bill*. *Please note that payment via the Services bill will need to be submitted by the due date set out.[/I]

Are you / your mother registered on the BG site ? You could check the balance there and see if the service is included and maybe a method of payment. They also have an online chat, which might be be easier than the phone.

Last edited:
Comments?

I see you mention that the message came by text.

Send them an e-mail which will confirm that you at least made an attempt to make payment. Confirm that you do not wish to make payment in this manner i.e. using their link in the text. Request a bill.

They are currently experiencing very high enquiries and e-mails that mean that it may take up to 10 days instead of the usual 3/5 working days. This is what I was told when I contacted them the other day.

https://phonovation.com/ (Phonovation) are a legit operation, and Bord Gais do use them for billing.

Hi Scallywag, I did the same as you, used Bord Gais for a service, while not a customer. Got the same dodgy looking text link.
I didn't click it, even though I think it actually is legit. I phoned them and paid over the phone.

Hi Scallywag, I did the same as you, used Bord Gais for a service, while not a customer. Got the same dodgy looking text link.
I didn't click it, even though I think it actually is legit. I phoned them and paid over the phone.
I'll try to do the same, while giving them feedback about their suspicious looking texts. The problem is getting through... I waited about 20 minutes last week and could not get an answer.

Automated payment works if you have an account. I don't actually have one with Bord Gais, I just ordered a boiler service.

I'll call them at some stage, when I have enough patience.

Actually I just got through to them on the phone, after a very long wait. (I use Skype, so I don't burn through my payg minutes).

Interestingly, they told me they've had a lot of complaints about the same thing, and management are looking at it. I was happy to hear this. And I paid.

Case closed now as far as I'm concerned, I just wanted to voice my complaint to them.

Automated payment works if you have an account. I don't actually have one with Bord Gais, I just ordered a boiler service.

Poor system that it does not let you pay with a reference number for invoice rather than account number.
Interestingly, they told me they've had a lot of complaints about the same thing, and management are looking at it. I was happy to hear this. And I paid.
Don't blame people complaining about asking customers to click the link when, especially the banks, tell us to delete texts with possible scam links but then proceed to send us one themselves :rolleyes:

Did you try it? Phonovation manage payments for lots of services that don't require accounts.

Back