PAYE query

Great D'Anton

Hi All,

I left my job last year in June 2018.

As a higher rate taxpayer, I was wondering if I could claim a tax refund due to the fact my total annual earnings for 2018 falls into the 20% tax bracket but I paid 40% tax on some earnings for the first 6 months of the year.

I received my P45 from my employer which shows the correct tax PAYABLE for the year (ie it applies 20%). However I believe I paid more tax than was shown on my P45 as some tax was deducted at 40% for the first 6 months.

I did not work another job in 2018 after leaving.

Should I just submit a Form12 online with what I believe to be the correct figures? Is this a common issue for job leavers who are in the higher tax bracket?

Thanks.

If you have PAYE anytime request a P21 balancing statement there. You can fill out the form 12 there also. Failing that I would fill in a paper form and add the figures and they will send out P 21 manually and refund you accordingly. One point to remember is that social welfare payments count as income earned during the year afaik so that will affect your rebate.

Thanks. I did not receive any social welfare payments so no issue there.

I will fill in a Form12 based on what's on my payslips and see what comes out in the wash I think!

Back