PAYE and Form11

figrolls

Hello,

Both myself and my husband are PAYE. We also employ a carer to look after a family member. My husband is registered as the employer and paying the carer goes thru the books (via an accountant).
Using PAYE anytime, all our own credit and reliefs are correct, and our taxes vs income are pretty much spot on. However, for 2012, I need to claim medical expenses. I filled in the Med1 Form and sent it to Revenue. They have now come back and said we need to fill out a Form11 and we cannot do our tax return via PAYE as we employ someone.

A couple of things:
-We get tax relief on employing a carer and so this is one of the tax reliefs we have and is reflected in our tax certificates.
-I used to be self-employed and used to return a Form11 for my taxes (via an accountant).
-We are jointly acessed

I dread filling in the Form11 and I was hoping not to have to do any of that now that we are both PAYE.

Just wondering, if the person in Revenue got it right? Because if we didn’t have Med expenses, this issue would not have arisen…

Can anyone enlighten me?

Do you know what form was used to register your husband as an employer? TR1 or
PREM Reg.

I might be wrong but I would think if the later was used you would not need to file a form 11

Back