Pay tax ? How ?

deco87

I work in public service. I am starting to do a little work , and will do the odd day hopefully , over the summer.
I will be paid ( its casual ) as I am needed on the odd day , here and there, inti my bank account which is fine.
Obviously there will be a bit of tax due when this happens, how do I pay what's due?
As I say only odd day casual ...dont want and it's not a available, full time...appreciate advice.

This is a bit unclear- is this an extra job on the side or is it a public service job?
If it is a public service job, then surely there must be record of some sort of the pay eg payslip?

Small bit ...of ...casual work .... extra.
Full time employed _ public service.

And..
That's great , thanks ..protocol.

Are you an employee or classed as self employed in your part time job - there is no problem adding income to your Form 12 but what about employers PRSI etc., If you are an employee you could allocate some of your tax credit to that employer and have the tax deduced at source.

Small bit ...of ...casual work .... extra.
Full time employed _ public service.
This isn't as clear as you think it is, which is why @jpd asked for more info.

You could be doing casual work, but be treated as an employee with your employer looking after tax, be self employed and responsible for your own tax, or operating in the black market and getting cash in your hand.

Are you an employee or classed as self employed in your part time job - there is no problem adding income to your Form 12 but what about employers PRSI etc., If you are an employee you could allocate some of your tax credit to that employer and have the tax deduced at source.
Hi , yes this is very interesting indeed.
I do want prsi paid as I am mid 50s and could expect a state pension based on stamps if I make it to state retirement age (68?)
The facts are as I said initially. I am full time in public service. I had very recently started to do a little extra work as I am thinking of retiring from public service this year.

I want to pay tax no interest in cash in hand.
I dont know exactly how to go about it , from reading here it's just a matter of keeping record recording the return at some point during the year, and get a balancing statement I'd imagine.

Allocating tax credit , I'd like to know more about.
As the time comes to retire I would expect if I am taken on full time thr employer will pay prsi in the usual fashion ,on my behalf. But if not , I would have to pay stamp and that of course would mean less net pay.
Thks for all advice ...D

It's still not clear if you're an employee or self employed.

If self employed, watch out for the rules about becoming a chargeable person if non-PAYE income exceeds 5,000. Much more complex tax returns involved.

Ok thanks. I would be doing a day or two occasionally...I will be paid to bank account.
That's it. So if I had to say , I would imagine I'm self employed?!

Do you get a payslip from this person or do you just invoice/tell them how much it is ? If the latter you will need to fill in a form 12 as long as it's under 5k.

They just pay me to bank account. That will be as and when I do a day. So if it stays under 5000k i just add up the pay received ,complete form 12 ,and get a balancing statement in due course?

Is this to be done at year end ? Just starting this occasional, casual ,work ,now ...thks

Back