Part-Time Nice Little Earner - Ross O'Carroll-Kelly Walking Tour

Leper

Last year I got a fad, read much of James Joyce and re-read Ulysses and took on some notes from Joycean scholars. I couldn't wait to get to Dublin and do one of the James Joyce Walking Tours. I picked the wrong one where the spiffer said everything short of Leopold Bloom stopping off at McDonalds for a Big Mac on the original Bloomsday. During the Covid-19 situation I became a fan of Ross O'Carroll-Kelly. I reckon there is an opening for a Ross O'Carroll-Kelly Walking Tour. If there's one such in operation please advise.

Last year I got a fad, read much of James Joyce and re-read Ulysses and took on some notes from Joycean scholars. I couldn't wait to get to Dublin and do one of the James Joyce Walking Tours. I picked the wrong one where the spiffer said everything short of Leopold Bloom stopping off at McDonalds for a Big Mac on the original Bloomsday. During the Covid-19 situation I became a fan of Ross O'Carroll-Kelly. I reckon there is an opening for a Ross O'Carroll-Kelly Walking Tour. If there's one such in operation please advise.
I did a tour of Kilmainham Gaol a few years back and the woman running it hadn't a clue what she was talking about. That's no shortage of idiots in the world. Fair play to you for reading Ulysses even once.

Wouldn't it be more of a pub crawl set around a rugby game? A week with a schools rugby match and an Ireland international.
And Kiely's is gone isn't it...
Maybe ucd pav?

Wouldn't it be more of a pub crawl set around a rugby game? A week with a schools rugby match and an Ireland international.
And Kiely's is gone isn't it...
Maybe ucd pav?

Kielys is closed. The Pav is the Trinity pub. The UCD Students Union bar is closed as well. The bar in the UCD sports centre is fairly new. And not sure UCD was a big part of the RO'CK narrative - lol

Just do a walk from Donnybrook out to the Gick ;)

Yea, I was amazed to learn that they were loss making nearly every year for the last decade and had accumulated losses of well over €2 million.

I wasn't to be honest - used to go there regularly. They lost most of their business after the crash. Students started the drinking at home thing so they lost all of the UCD crowd. When Leinster moved to the RDS, Kielys wouldn't work with the Supporters club to offer deals (which the Horse SHow House did) thinking they'd keep the Leinster rugby crowd - but they lost that to a large extent. The Ireland games moving to Croke Park for a few years hurt them as well - lost a lot of regulars who never really came back. They become very reliant on a small number of locals who wouldn't have been a big revenue number. Ended up they were only busy on days when schools games were on in Donnybrook.

I did a tour of Kilmainham Gaol a few years back and the woman running it hadn't a clue what she was talking about. That's no shortage of idiots in the world. Fair play to you for reading Ulysses even once.
I was in Spain for a few weeks and to be honest, I found Ulysses hard going and I re-read several sections twice or even thrice. But, I stuck with it and reviewed the book on the Book section here.

I think some of the contributors here could run fairly entertaining Ross O'Carroll-Kelly Walks. I'd be the first customer. Must say Mrs Lep and I obtained a grá for RO'C-K and his dad (character based on an infamous Cork character).

Tried to read Ulyssess... failed. Will stick with translations of the original The Odyssey.
Have an audio radio adaptation of it that's on my to do list... think I may appreciate it better that way in podcast size.

The Dubliners by Joyce is good, and name checks a lot of Dublin locations also. There were some good audio adaptations of the stories.

I don't think there are audio adaptations of the Ross books, which would be good.
As a northsider, I rely on his Guide to (South) Dublin: How To Get By On, Like, €10,000 A Day.

Back