Part ownership of parents home and Fair Deal scheme

munstershug

Hi all. My mother left the old family home in West of Ireland (value 150k) jointly to the three of us siblings. Now my brother is in need of nursing home care. Assuming his 33% share in that house needs to be reported as an asset under fair deal, then given it is joint asset, what happens that asset after his Fair Deal funded care ends, . Any ideas?

Declaring his share as an asset if required will affect the contribution he must pay towards his care.

This contribution must be paid monthly, unless, he applies for and obtains a loan for his care costs.

Wether that is a good idea from his point of view is a very complex issue. Wether he would get the loan is also not straightforward. Is the house his residence. Does he have another residence.

If he gets the loan that creates a mortgage on the property.

The consent of the other shareholders in the house would probably be required.

Declaring his share as an asset if required will affect the contribution he must pay towards his care.

This contribution must be paid monthly, unless, he applies for and obtains a loan for his care costs.

Wether that is a good idea from his point of view is a very complex issue. Wether he would get the loan is also not straightforward. Is the house his residence. Does he have another residence.

If he gets the loan that creates a mortgage on the property.

The consent of the other shareholders in the house would probably be required.
Consent is not needed. The value of his third will dictate the amt he could get a loan for. Does he have income to repay a loan.

I would be surprised if he could get a loan. Perhaps you and your other sibling could purchase his share of the property. Is this his PPR?

Last edited:
It depends what other assets he has.

If the cost of care is covered by another asset then there is no need to give them anything else.

All the assets are taken into account for the assessment. But you can pay the bill anyway you want.

Hi all. My mother left the old family home in West of Ireland (value 150k) jointly to the three of us siblings. Now my brother is in need of nursing home care. Assuming his 33% share in that house needs to be reported as an asset under fair deal, then given it is joint asset, what happens that asset after his Fair Deal funded care ends, . Any ideas?

If your brother availed of the nursing home loan and the property is not his principal residence the loan would be repayable on his passing. See 50 on page 12 here;

https://health.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Frequently-Asked-Questions.pdf

The house would not necessarily have to be sold, whoever inherits your brothers share in the house, the other joint owners or anyone else could pay what is owed and have the charge removed.

All joint owners would have been requested to give consent to the charge being registered against the property. See 6B here;

https://www2.hse.ie/file-library/fair-deal/nursing-home-support-scheme-application-form.pdf

If the property was your brother’s principal residence repayment can be deferred if there are certain categories of people living in the house. See 50, 51, 52 on page 12/13 here;

https://health.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Frequently-Asked-Questions.pdf

What happens if consent is not forthcoming and the brother has to go into a home?

Back