Parking my car in front of my own house

Grand - when my kids are old enough to read and comprehend a document of that complexity I will advise them of their responsibilities. Until then I will continue to keep them on the path.

Maybe some of the legal eagles out there can clarify - I understood the rules of the road was an explanation and interpretation of the relevant legislation and best principles, but unless something significant has changed the contents of the document are not enshrined in law. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it has no value, but I am saying that it is the legislation that is the driving force and the rules of the road is only a representation for the lay user of the legislation. To give an example of the interpretation issue - you shouldn't cycle more than one abreast in 'heavy traffic' - how and where is 'heavy traffic' defined ? Can you get busted for cycling two abreast - no. Can you get busted for driving without due consideration for this - possibly, depending on the definition of 'driving' since you don't drive a bike.

z

Maybe some of the legal eagles out there can clarify - I understood the rules of the road was an explanation and interpretation of the relevant legislation and best principles, but unless something significant has changed the contents of the document are not enshrined in law.

I'm no legal eagle, but as the introduction to the "Rules of the Road" explains (http://www.rsa.ie/PUBLICATIONS/upload/File/ROTR_2007.pdf),

"It uses must and must not to draw attention to behaviour the law clearly demands or forbids."
"It uses terms such as should and should not to tell you how best to act in a situation where no legal rule is in place."

Cycling on footpaths is therefore so far as the authors of the Rules of the Road are concerned, illegal. Personally, I'd take their word for it . . .

Back on topic, you can only park outside your own home if doing so does not cause an obstruction. You have the right to enter, pass along and exit the public highway. You do not have any explicit right to park on it. While it might be rude to do so you are just as entitled to park outside someone else’s home as they are.

'Failure to observe the rules of the road does not of itself render that person liable to criminal prosecution and courts have refused to convict of careless driving for mere breaches of the Highway Code.'

So says Woods, an expert on Road Traffic Offences.

I looked up whether cycling on footpaths was an offence out of curiousity. I can't find any specific offence, the only rules I can see for cyclists are in Article 47 as amended by SI 274 of 1998 and s.100 of RTA 1961 if anyone cares to have a look at them. But I see nothing about footpaths.

If it were my children, offence or no offence, they'd be on the footpath.

Grand - when my kids are old enough to read and comprehend a document of that complexity I will advise them of their responsibilities. Until then I will continue to keep them on the path.

They don't need to read or comprehend. You can read it and tell them.

Article by Pat Igoe Irish Times 8/02/07 re Parking Outside your house

[broken link removed]

How about reporting it as an abandoned vehicle...if nobody in the immediate vicinity owns it?!

I believe the only way you can do this is if there are no number plates on the car. My mother-in-law has this problem the whole time as she is on a bus route into Dublin city centre and her street has not yet started disc parking.Her own daughter, who could leave her car there and walk the further 1.5 miles to work, isn't even able to get parking outside her own house and theres nothing she can do about it.

From Dublin City Council Website

Abandoned Vehicle Service

E-mail a Friend
Print this page
Related Links
Top FAQs

[broken link removed]
There are two types of vehicles that Dublin City Council can remove from the public highway.

• End-Of-Life Vehicles
  • Abandoned Vehicles
Dublin City Council will remove end-of-life vehicles with the owners consent for a fee of €30. The removal of vehicles with the owners consent is subject to certain conditions. please click on the links below to download the Owners Consent Form for vehicle removal and to view the conditions that apply.
Dublin City Council will also remove vehicles which are clearly abandoned.
Under section 71 of the Waste management Act 1996, the term 'abandoned' may be defined as:
"Abandoned, in relation to a vehicle, includes left in such circumstances or for such period that it is reasonable to assume that the vehicle has been abandoned, and cognate words shall be construed accordingly"
The circumstances referred to in the definition refers to vehicles left with no identification and no means of contacting the registered owner.
What this means is that a vehicle shall be deemed abandoned if it is left for a period of time with no identification and no means of contacting the registered owner.

[broken link removed]
Important Note

Please note that the Abandoned Vehicle Service provided by Dublin City Council is not a means for reporting parking irregularities.
The Parking Enforcement Section of Dublin City Council will deal with parking irregularities and can be contacted at 01 222 2222.

[broken link removed]
What happens when an abandoned vehicle is reported to Dublin City Council.

• The vehicle must be inspected by a Dublin City Council officer, Photographed and all available details taken.
  • The officer will Contact local Motor tax office to try obtain registered owners details.
  • A letter will then be sent to the registered owner stating that the vehicle will be removed by Dublin City Council within a certain time period. If no contact is returned from the registered owner the vehicle will be removed and a Litter fine of €125 will be issued under the Litter Pollution Act 1997 following the removal of the vehicle.
  • If the officer deems the vehicle to be in good enough condition not to be scrapped then the officer will place the vehicle in storage and write again to the registered owner and state that the vehicle must be collected within 28 days. A €125 charge will apply for the removal and a further €30 per day or part there of for storage.
  • If no contact is made by the registered owner the vehicle will be sent to Hammond Lane Metal Company (Permit No. WP98067) where it will then be de-polluted and scrapped under section 71 of the Waste Management Acts 1996 –2003.

Back