Parking in apartment complex, insurance, and rules on who can park in allocated spaces.

Annakay

Small complex, each space marked for parking. No allocated spaces for visitors because there's no room.

Can anyone tell me, insurance wise, the rules for a member of my family parking in my space to visit. I don't have a car, so my space is available for them to park for a while.
Is this OK, insurance wise. Or is it a breach of the rules?
Also can tradesmen park in the complex to do a job?

I know I can ask management, I just want to know if anyone can shed any light on the Insurance aspect of this.

Also, no gate. Entrance open.

Thank you.

The easiest thing to do is to consult your lease.

Most car parks / parking spaces have a sign that says in short, "Park here at your own risk."

Is this OK, insurance wise. Or is it a breach of the rules?
You may be confusing two different things there. Car insurance does not become invalid just because you contravene the rules of an apartment complex.

Without seeing the wording of your lease, we can't say with certainty, but it should be fine for your guests to use your parking space while visiting you. Do the management company require people to register their car details?

Its your space. Unless there's a strange condition, you can permit anyone to park there.

To avoid any clamping issue maybe create a sign for anyone parking there saying they are "parking with permission of Apartment XX" to put on the dashboard.

You may be confusing two different things there. Car insurance does not become invalid just because you contravene the rules of an apartment complex.

Without seeing the wording of your lease, we can't say with certainty, but it should be fine for your guests to use your parking space while visiting you. Do the management company require people to register their car details?
I own the apartment. No, they don't require any details about the cars.

They just seem to think that if a visitor crashes into a residents car, that the insurance will not cover it because the person should not be parked in a private car park.

I own the apartment. No, they don't require any details about the cars.

They just seem to think that if a visitor crashes into a residents car, that the insurance will not cover it because the person should not be parked in a private car park.
Which insurance are they referring to?

It won't be covered as part of the apartment's insurance policy - is that what they mean?

I don't see how that could affect each car's motor insurance policy, and I've never heard of any cases where that condition applied. If they have specifically stated car insurance, then you should ask them on what basis they make that statement.

If someone crashes into you it’s their motor insurance you claim on, not the insurance pertaining to the premises. It’s a driving matter.

As for should/should not be there that is a different issue. Some residents only car parks are very strict and require pre authorisation to park there. Others it’s your space and you can park whatever you like there.

Can I ask who the 'they' is in this case?

Crashes and scrapes are a common occurrence in car parks, most of which are private. The insurance of the driver at fault routinely pays out on such claims. Just because someone is on a premises without permission does not mean their insurance will not cover any damage they cause.

Which insurance are they referring to?

It won't be covered as part of the apartment's insurance policy - is that what they mean?

I don't see how that could affect each car's motor insurance policy, and I've never heard of any cases where that condition applied. If they have specifically stated car insurance, then you should ask them on what basis they make that statement.
It's the management company reinforcing an old rule that wasn't adhered to, lately.
It doesn't make sense insurance wise.

But I suppose they are trying to limit who comes into the complex.
I thought it might be OK for my family to park in my spot as they wouldn't be parking in anyone else's.
Whereas most other people drive, so there is nowhere for a visitor of theirs to park.

Back