Parents want to sign over their home to their son to avoid Fair Deal Scheme

sinmcg

Hi my husband is an only child and his parents are going to sign over their house to him. Is there any tax benefit in doing this?

What is the value of the house?

There is no real extra value in signing it over now rather than later

He may have to pay CAT depending on the value and prior gifts

What happens if they need funds later in their life for medical procedures or nursing?

Hi thanks for your reply.
The value is approx 500,000
No prior gifts have been given and his parents have little savings.
The thinking behind it is to reduce tax liability, eg fair deal scheme if either parent needs to go into a nursing home.

The thinking behind it is to reduce tax liability, eg fair deal scheme if either parent needs to go into a nursing home.
The Fair Deal Scheme and tax liabilities are unrelated issues.
They need to also bear the following in mind.
Transferred assets
The assessment will look at assets that you have transferred (for example any land, money or property you have given to another person) since applying for State support or in the 5 years before the application.

Last edited:
I know they are separate, I’m just trying to find out if there are any benefits to having the house transferred now. Thanks

I know they are separate, I’m just trying to find out if there are any benefits to having the house transferred now. Thanks
It depends on a lot more detail than you have posted.
The overall financial circumstances of all parties for example.

From a Fair Deal perspective, if you are confident that a nursing home will not be needed for 5 years, then potentially yes. From a tax perspective, more information is needed.

They bought it in 1972. It’s worth about 500,000. It is their PPR.
Assuming that they have not already gifted their only son anything previously then €335k of the value would be exempt from CAT. The balance would be subject to CAT at 33% (i.e. €165k @ 33% = c. €55k).

Last edited:
There’s not much more to it than that. They have limited savings and have never gifted anything before.
Assuming that they have not already gifted their only son anything previously then €335k of the value would be exempt from CAT. The balance would be subject to CAT at 33% (i.e. c. €55k).
Would we have to pay CAT when the property is signed over or when we eventually sell?

There’s not much more to it than that. They have limited savings and have never gifted anything before.

Would we have to pay CAT when the property is signed over or when we eventually sell?
The former.
The eventual sale may be assessable for CGT depending on what happens next.

Last edited:
The parents would be very stupid to sign over their only asset to their child.

Lots of things can go wrong:
The parents need money and no longer have an asset they can get a life loan based on.
Parents and children fall out.
The child divorces his wife and the wife claims half his assets.
The child dies, and the wife kicks the parents out of their former home.

They might all have a low probability of happening, but the consequences are huge.

Back