Palmerstown - Buy or not to buy.

Kerrigan

I grew up in Palmerstown but have lost touch with the area since I moved out over thirty years ago. The last time I've been in the area was when my late mother passed in 2011.

My son is about to purchase a house there and I'm a little concerned as the house sounds a tad over priced at 280k. The property is situated in 'old' Palmerstown.

Would somebody be kind enough to update this thread on the pros and cons of living there. The last time I was there I thought the village looked rather run-down.

that sounds very overpriced. I have relations living in "old Palmerstown" for 50+ years. I have never heard them complaining about the area, but I cant see the attraction myself. you can buy something a lot nearer town for a lot less money. For example, there are a few nice 3 bed properties around Kilmainham for under 200k

I have friends that live in Palmerston and love it but like the previous poster I fail to see what the big attraction is.
Maybe your son should have a look at Lucan. It's a couple of miles further from city but the village has a much nicer feel to it and has good selction of nice pubs and restaurants.

I think the attraction is proximity to town. Though, there are areas much closer...

Apart from its location, I don't see any great appeal in the area at all. I work in close proximity and have seen Palmerstown take a nose dive over the years. The old Vincent Byrne site has yet to be developed and as you have said the village is looking worse for wear. I was getting fuel at one of the garages there recently and felt quite intimidated by the people hanging around. 280k sounds way too much.

Ballyfermot is not a million miles away from Palmerstown and I think it has a lot more to offer plus the houses are in keeping with current day prices.

I used to live in Palmerstown. It is quite small really. Handy for commuting into town by bus. An Aldi and a Supervalu and Centra. 4 petrol stations. a few takeaways. Glenaulin Park good for recreation. Palmerstown House pub decent enough, didn't think much about Silver Granite pub.

I don't know how anyone can say 280k is bad value if we don't know the property ?

3 bedroomed houses sell from 200k to above 300k depending on the type and size of house and the actual location as a quick check of daft/myhome will show.

P'ton is closer to town than Lucan and more desireable than B'fermot. K'ham is,I agree, not bad value.

Old P'ton is generally quiet and safe and with the bus lane one can get to H'ton sta 15 mins 20 mins O'Connell St.
Sadly, so many "village" centres in the suburbs look run down with increasing no of shops closing.

Family home prices in many suburbs do seem to be increasing recently.

So, 4 years later and I can now see the attraction to Palmerstown and am thinking of buying there!

Current properties for sale in "Old Palmerstown" include Turret Rd, Glenaulin Rd, Culmore Rd, and Palmerstown Drive. All around the 280/320k mark and all needing work.

Any opinions on these roads or on Old Palmerstown in general?

Does Glenaulin Park cause any problems at night?

I grew up in Palmerstown but have lost touch with the area since I moved out over thirty years ago. The last time I've been in the area was when my late mother passed in 2011.

My son is about to purchase a house there and I'm a little concerned as the house sounds a tad over priced at 280k. The property is situated in 'old' Palmerstown.

Would somebody be kind enough to update this thread on the pros and cons of living there. The last time I was there I thought the village looked rather run-down.

From Palmerstown myself a long time back. Father still lives in old Palmerstown. A good bit rougher today than years back when it was actually County Dublin and not Dublin 20.A lot of people who left the area seem to be returning over the past few years. Good community spirit handy location with bus corridor to city center. Easy access to M50 etc. 280k is certainly not expensive now days for old Palmerstown. Premimum roads such as Palmerstown Drive command a much higher price than this. In fact now days 280k would only buy a house needing work. Remember 5-6 miles from the city thats all.Some of the roads through older Palmerstown can be uses as rat runs so take this into account. Not many areas in the greater Dublin area so close to town offering the same bang for your buck. Plus houses always sell well so in the future if one wants to upgrade move on etc a sale would most probably be easy. Solid houses. As per usual end of terrace command that bit more probably 320k plus today. Good luck. Certain roads back gardens are 100ft long.

It's a gorgeous area...the Luas on your doorstep, within walking distance of town, close to the restaurants and nightlife of Ranelagh, great schools (Alex, Gonzaga), a lovely park.

I'll get my coat...

It's a gorgeous area...the Luas on your doorstep, within walking distance of town, close to the restaurants and nightlife of Ranelagh, great schools (Alex, Gonzaga), a lovely park.

I'll get my coat...

Gordon would certainly take Palmerston over Palmerstown but afraid the same house in your chosen area might be nearer to 1million
than 280k. Last year ordered washing machine for my dad and the van driver was going mad on a friday afternoon could not find the house. He was sitting in Palmerston instead of Palmerstown.:) Even the exit sign off the M50 for Galway says Palmerston instead of Palmerstown:mad: lol

Back