Painting cost

I paid 3,250 recently for the inside of a 4 bed house in Dublin. That price did not include the paint which cost about 1,000 (mostly Colourtrend and dulux brands). This included stripping and skimming the wall papered ceilings which added about 750 to the total. They painted every surface (window boards, skirting, radiators, stairs) and plastered some walls that needed fixing.

They did the entire house in about 4 days.

HI is there any possibility you could share the details of the painter or direct message them to me please? I've just purchased a 3 bed semi in Dublin and would like to get the inside painted in the new year and would like to get a quote for all of the work so I can budget from now for the work involved. I absolutely don't have capacity to do the work myself so would need to hire people in. Ideally would have loved to get this done before moving in but it wasn't practical so would like to get it painted before get new carpets down.

Or if anyone else has a recommendation, I'd appreciate it . thanks

I was just looking back on the posts here and was alarmed at post No 7. A 4 bd rm house, that took a professional painter 9 days to paint the outside ONLY, used 100 litres of paint??????? Mother of God, what size was the house? Then the price? In 2017 it cost you €2600.00! Some house, it must be huge? I'm guessing he put up full scaffolding and took it down again in the 9 days?

My usual painter is booked up for 4~5 months in advance. So its at the peak of the market, so you'll pay accordingly.

I had another smallish house painted last year and I think it cost just under 2k for the interior.

Last edited:
My friend’s house is similar to ours and he paid €9k recently (paint included) for everything inside (walls, woodwork, ceilings, kitchen). I know that’s expensive, but we’re talking perfection done by real professionals. I’d prefer to pay extra for perfection than to pay less to some chancer and be disappointed.

My friend’s house is similar to ours and he paid €9k recently (paint included) for everything inside (walls, woodwork, ceilings, kitchen). I know that’s expensive, but we’re talking perfection done by real professionals. I’d prefer to pay extra for perfection than to pay less to some chancer and be disappointed.
As a matter of interest, how much (roughly) was spent on paint, and how much on labour? How many mandays did the job take and what was the daily rate?

As a matter of interest, how much (roughly) was spent on paint, and how much on labour? How many mandays did the job take and what was the daily rate?
I don’t know, sorry…it’s wasn’t my house.

I do know that the paints were all higher-end ones.

e.g. Farrow & Ball, that kind of stuff.

We paid around 1400 in total last year to paint the outside of a 4 bed detached in South Dublin. That included 2 coats on 3.5 walls of the house (half brick at front, other walls plastered not pebbledash), the shed and all garden walls front and back. Also included the timber sofits/fascia and gutters. Some of the garden walls were bare block and hadn't been painted before so swallowed up a lot of paint, Dulux Weathershield was used for all. We got cheaper quotes and one for 2600 too, the guy we went went was a pro though very happy with the job he did.

Interested in the name of this company.

Earlier this year I paid €5,000 for outside and inside (3 bed/ mid terrace/ attic) including paint. Breakdown 1600 out/ 3400 in. Not sure what paint actually cost as builder did all the shopping for it thankfully.

The €5k included stripping (many layers!) of wallpaper in 3 rooms and fixing the walls for them to be painted (without this it would have been €4,100 total e.g. if the wallpaper had just been painted over).

It was about 10-12 days work - half of the time two guys were on the job and the rest it was just one). Very happy with it.

Is that a reasonable price or at the very high end?!

Earlier this year I paid €5,000 for outside and inside (3 bed/ mid terrace/ attic) including paint. Breakdown 1600 out/ 3400 in. Not sure what paint actually cost as builder did all the shopping for it thankfully.

The €5k included stripping (many layers!) of wallpaper in 3 rooms and fixing the walls for them to be painted (without this it would have been €4,100 total e.g. if the wallpaper had just been painted over).

It was about 10-12 days work - half of the time two guys were on the job and the rest it was just one). Very happy with it.

Is that a reasonable price or at the very high end?!
A bit high, but you're happy with it and stripping wallpaper and prepping walls correctly is not a nice, or an easy job to do. I know a fair few painters and they've all got a lot of work going on. Prices for painting a house have increased, then again, most things have.

Having just finished painting 1 internal bedroom myself yesterday it took me 2 days in total for 2 coats on the walls only.
The paint had increased from €47 too €55 for 5 lts.however this Color needed too be mixed.

Having just finished painting 1 internal bedroom myself yesterday it took me 2 days in total for 2 coats on the walls only.
The paint had increased from €47 too €55 for 5 lts.however this Color needed too be mixed.
In 2018 I painted the garden walls Dulux weather shield it was €48 for 10 litre drum it's now €78 for 10 litres and 49 for 5 , PVA has also increased by 60% .

In reality I only need 2.5 ltrs can't find that anywhere.

Another cost/ hassel that people forget is getting rid of the paint. We use a place and its priced by the lad at the entrance by simply lifting the tin and is about €1 a litre.

Back