Own business and getting Unemploy. Assist.

ursprunglich

Hi all,
I am in the process of setting up my own business and have just gotten unemployment assistance while this gets going (which hopefully it will!). Now, I am making some money, but very little and not near enough to live on on it's own. How much am I allowed to earn, if any, while still getting full UA does anyone know?
Thanks,

Are you employing any others. If yes then you may be entitled to Seed Capital. This is a scheme that allows you to recoup the tax you paid over the last 5 years.

Thanks to you both.
Neither apply unfortunately. The schemes offered by the gov. are for the long term unemployed (which I'm not) and the tax rebate thing doesn't apply as I've been working out of the country. Verdamnt!
Any other ideas?

I don't understand - are you saying that you don't qualify for UA after all but are collecting it anyway?

No, sorry if I was unclear. To get allowances and benefits related to starting up a business (which are substancial), you have to be unemployed for 2 years or more. I am not, so I'm just getting regular UA at the moment. When they granted it to me I was not making any money ... And now I'm making a very small amount, but I'm not sure how to deal with it. Does that make sense to you?

UA is means tested so you would need to provide details of income you are currently earning in order to determine appropriate rate along with any other entitlements. You should really contact your local Social Welfare Office.

You also however need to be available and actively seeking work so you may have difficulties on this point.

Thrifty said:
You also however need to be available and actively seeking work so you may have difficulties on this point.

There is leeway for the self employed..this is taken from oasis:
Self-employment

If you are self-employed, you may be entitled to Unemployment Assistance, depending on your income from your business.

Back