Overseas property exhibition in Leopardstown Racecourse

FeuFollet

Did anybody go to the big overseas property exhibition in Leopardstown Racecourse at the week end?

I found the 'hard-sales' techniques were a bit rough. My lovely sales executive was keen to get me to book a return flight for the end of the month to the South of France and wouldn't take 'I will have to choose if I want to buy east or west first' for an answer. He couldn't tell me either what kind of taxes were due on what and to whom (I knew, so I was testing him really) so he sent me one of his fellow sales executives who was supposed to have some kind of answer. He didn't have a clue ('the taxman will always get you' was the best information I got on French taxation!) but had good French. Ha!

I was urged to book the flight there and then -without any answers to my questions- because today only would I get the special price of €250 instead of €385. Plus they were selling like hot cakes, I needed to act quickly. I pointed out that €135 savings on a €200000 investment sounded mean.

Overall the expo seemed a good outing if you needed a laugh and free coffee but has failed to improved my life. Did I miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime?

I'd be interested to read what you thought of it. Am I overly cynical?

d2x2
yes, I dropped in just out of curiosity, I have bought a place near Orlando and wanted to check what other deals maybe in the pipeline.
The whole USA sales pitch reminded me of the movie Glengarry Glen Ross.

They were pushing a deal where the price was going up on Monday and I just had to get in there and then or I would be a loser. I would never be able to look my friends or family in the face again type of thing.
Also thought using hurricane Katrina's effects on the now lack of conference facilities in Louisiana as a way of selling Florida/Orlando was rich.
It's an ill wind and all that... sorry bad pun in this case.

They did not want to take no for an answer and just kept plugging their flights. Actually they would not listen at all. Maybe they got a good deal with airlines or some commission on filling late seat vacancies?

This really smacks of treating potential investors as crap, and to be honest it's primarily their own fault, as they have proved themselves to be 'easy sells' in the past, willing to buy pretty much anything on the basis of spin.

Glad to read jmayo and soma shared my impressions. I don't think the exhibition was targeted at 'real' investors, rather at less informed people looking for a bargain because they heard that property is hot.

Anyway, 'my' sales executive rang me back on Monday to remind me that the south of France was selling like hot cakes and I really, really should book immediately. I thought that was sweet and showed he had my best interest at heart. Ha ha!

I think you would need to be a bid mad to buy a property from one of these exhibitions. However many with more money than sense do so. I
went to France myself and visited the local auctioneers and viewed the
properties just like I would in Ireland. Language was not a major difficulty.
You will at least see what you are getting and will be able to compare
prices with other areas and similar properties.

Maybe you can pick up a bargain flight at one of these events ;-) ?

dangerous game you would be getting yourself into giving this lot your phone number.

Do you know that if you go out on a trip with these guys, you are required to have minimum liquidity of a an amount set down by their financial guys there and if they discover that you dont upon arrival, they fine the guy who booked your trip...not joking

Back