Overpaying mortgage and then withdrawing the overpayment - any advantages?

Many thanks Brendan for your insights. What you say makes sense to me in terms of the advantages of making the overpayment. It wouldn't be a huge saving but it still is significant, particularly when every penny counts these days.

Thanks for this post gnf_ireland and also your extremely comprehensive one below it. That really spells out for me exactly how much I would be saving in interest and is extremely helpful.
In relation to having an iron clad guarantee from KBC regarding the ability to withdraw the overpayment would you (or anyone on this forum) have any suggestions as to what wording I would need to get from the bank or how I would go about getting a 100% assurance regarding this from KBC?

Last edited:
Thanks for that Opus2018, that's very helpful.

Just to echo other peoples commentary and warnings re KBC reserving the right to pull this particular rug from under you feet at any time. -This would be of paramount concern to me if the change would then negatively impact my lifestyle or that of my dependents.

Also re your point on the recordings - There is no financial Institution on the Planet that I would remotely trust to hand over their recordings of Customer Service telephone conversations for the benefit of the customer when requested to by said customer - especially when this customer was clearly proposing to then use the recordings as a stick to beat them with.....

Last edited: