Overpay 1.95% mortgage or not?

Borrowing at 1.95% to invest in shares is definitely riskier. But there probably is a long-term expected return in excess of 1.95% after tax. And given his high salary and low borrowings, he can handle the risk.
Always read the small print. The probablies, the expected and the marvelous percentages. Reminds me of the wonderful projections a pension company produced for my husband one time.

Not really.

You didn't understand that someone who invests in shares while they have a mortgage is borrowing to invest in shares.

People find that hard to understand. But they understand it when they are asked "If you had no mortgage would you take one out to buy shares?"

The end result is the same.

Brendan
If I could get money for 1.95% to invest in shares, I would

If I could get money for 1.95% to invest in shares, I would

And a lot of people would and as I said earlier :

Not sure about borrowing €30k to invest in equities though. You can well handle the risk though if the shares collapse. So again, it's not too far wrong.

The key thing is for the OP (and Bronte) to understand is that they are borrowing to invest in shares and that they appreciate the inherent risk of that. My worry is that people don't understand the risk.

Brendan

Back