Overdue Pay Rise

H

harpo

My husband and his colleagues had the last pay increase in Sept 2002 - and no union in their factory, unfortunately. Is there any way of drawing the attention of the employer to his obligation to give his employees their pay increase??

Harpo

Hi Harpo - There is no legal obligation on any employer to give any increase, unless this is specified in the contract of employement (which is very unlikely).

Re : Overdue Payrise

How about if it is in the contract ?

How should we handle it then?

Re: Re : Overdue Payrise

Does the contract say that the salary will be increased or that it will be reviewed?

contract

Contracts usually state, that a review will be held (at least annually).
You can have a salary review but I'd be very surprised(ie shoot the HR people) if a contract stipulated a pay increase each year.
I support even if you did have this in your contract, they could give you a .001% increase(50c on EUR50,000!).

S

Re: contract

Hi harpo

Did your husband receive annual increases, in line with the various national wage agreements (such as PESP) ?

Sadly, I'm no expert on this, but I thought that everyone in fulltime employment got these, unless they had either waived their rights to them in writting, or if the business was losing money ?

Regards

G>
www.Rpoints.com/newbie

not automatic

Not everybody gets the standard wage increases from the Social Partnership Wage Agreements.

There is no legal obligation on an employer to pay these. They are not AUTOMATIC.

social partnership my ****

too bloody right! An Post has reneged on the deal!

Re: social partnership my ****

Hi

I thought An Post were losing money, as I said above I think this is one of the ways in which an employer can justify not paying out these increases ?

Anyone able to confirm the position regarding National Wage Agreements ?

(Interesting to note that the current round of negotiations have just begun btw)

Regards

G>
www.Rpoints.com/newbie

partnership my ****

An Post 'banked' €123million in profit between 1986 and 1999. Then the board decided to 'modernise' the service by purchasing machinery that was never tried out in other countries, had no post codes to work on etc.Total disaster.
Disbanded its network of Head postoffices and formed a new network of 'Area offices' Not quite the success story they hoped for.
Result: 50 offices around the country have to be being 'converted' to non company offices to save money which in plain english means sub office status + no national agreement for current staff, despite being assured in 1984 that civil service status would mean no disimprovement in pay and conditions for staff serving prior to 01/01/1984 .This guarantee is even written into the statues of An Post but evidently means nothing. If I were an Aer Rianta employee I would be asking a lot of questions about broken promises to An Post staff. And yes, we are all aware of certain grades in certain cities milking the system. Is it not managements job to sort that out and not hide behind a 'we're losing money' catchall approach?

PESP and other farces

PESP is basically a way of keeping industrial peace. Since your company has no union it cannot go on strike, therefore there is no risk of industrial unrest as long as the status quo continues.

Unless you and your colleagues join and union and this is recognised by management you will not be entitled to anything out of the partnerships wage negotiations. Many people get the impression that this is "given by the government" but not so. It is conceded by respresentatives of employers organisations in return for various things, such as promises for industrial peace, productivity increases and "modernisation." The sad reality is that of 1.8million employees less than 500,000 get this at all, yet its driven massive pay increases that have caused a huge percentage of employees to fall far behind in terms of increases.

This is further legitimised by IDA, who fund companies who are union-hostile, agressive cost cutters and often indulge in unfair and bad (though not illegal) employment practices. It ought to be conditional on companies who receive public taxpayers money and subsidies that they are subjected to these pay agreements. Otherwise we have the bizarre situation where an employer who has been on a wage freeze for two years with a huge number of workers on 68% of the average wage can win "employer of the year."

Reality

My reality is last pay rise was when we still used punts, no contract (been with same employer for 10 years), 20 days hols, overtime expected but no for within any salary agreed, no PHI in the pension scheme and minimum employer contributions of 2% to pensions.

Back