overcharged

W

woolly

what happens if you get carpets laid and paid for but find out you were overcharged by roughly €250.00. how this happened is the carpet guy told me it was €10 & €13 a square yard for two types of carpet we wanted and free fitting when he measured it he told me that it was a certain size and that the total was x amount which we paid for and got the carpet fitted. but then i found out that the price should have been 250 less what are my options. there was no underlay etc need.

Any chance the alleged overpayment can be accounted for by wastage - e.g. all the bits they need to cut out when fitting the carpets and underlay but which for which you are obliged to pay?

not really as his guy came out to measure it before hand so surely there couldnt be that much wastage

Did you only notice the discrepancy after the fact or did you notice it beforehand but paid in full anyway? Have you complained to the company involved? What have they said? Have you checked with the ODCA/ECIC for information about your statutory rights?

[broken link removed]

How so? Was the area on the receipt incorrect? Or was the charge per square yard incorrect? Or was the multiplication of the two incorrect? Or something else?

i got an invoice from himself with just a description of what had to be done and a total price. i need to find out the sizes of the rooms for something else and when i was giving a detailed listing of the sizes of each room i calculated myself how much it should have cost and thats when i noticed the difference

Sounds to me if you didn't check the invoice out and just paid it then you may have no comeback. On the other hand you should at least try querying it with the company and, if necessary, chase it up with the ODCA, ECIC and perhaps the Small Claims Court if relevant.

Was the price of laying, underlay, etc. included in the price you were originally given?

his guy came out to measure it before hand so surely there couldnt be that much wastage

You don't pay for the exact yardage of the room. They will only sell you a rectangular piece of carpet so if your room is 10' wide and the carpet is 12' wide, you have to pay for the 2' wasted along the length of the room. So even though he measured the room, there could still be wastage.

Back