Outdoor Veranda - Condensation

alexandra123

Hello,

Looking for some advice, I spent a lot of money (14k) getting a glass veranda installed. It's a lean-to with sides and front open. I find I am getting a lot of condensation dripping onto the outdoor furniture in the cold weather. I have checked with some people with polycarbonate roofs, and they don't have the same issue.

Is there a way to reduce the condensation? I would ideally not like to cover the furniture every winter, this was part of the reason why I got it in the first place. I was thinking of covering the sides with glass too, but the company highly advised against this and said the condensation would get worse because there is no insulation on the ground, It is just paved. Would decking help at all, as the decking might help reduce the amount of cold air rising from the paving up to the glass roof?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

Looking for some advice, I spent a lot of money (14k) getting a glass veranda installed. It's a lean-to with sides and front open. I find I am getting a lot of condensation dripping onto the outdoor furniture in the cold weather. I have checked with some people with polycarbonate roofs, and they don't have the same issue.

Is there a way to reduce the condensation? I would ideally not like to cover the furniture every winter, this was part of the reason why I got it in the first place. I was thinking of covering the sides with glass too, but the company highly advised against this and said the condensation would get worse because there is no insulation on the ground, It is just paved. Would decking help at all, as the decking might help reduce the amount of cold air rising from the paving up to the glass roof?

Thanks in advance
1. Is there a way to reduce the condensation? The condensation occurs because the glass is super cooled by the sky (radiation effect) especially on clear cold nights and it is this very cold surface that allows condensation to form underneath the glass resulting in the problem you are seeing. Many sheds with metal roofs suffer the same issue. This supercooling effect is the reason, for instance, the roof & windscreen of a car are generally always the first places for frost to form in comparison to the side windows. If you want to improve matters or test the theory then partially cover the glass roof with an insulating material like a blanket on the next very cold night and see the difference between the covered and uncovered sections in the morning.
2. I was thinking of covering the sides with glass too - this won't improve things
3. Would decking help at all - No, the ground has no role to play here.

If its open, why worry condensation? I presume it's outdoor furniture set. The main benefit of choosing glass over polycarbonate is related to more light coming through glass.

The condensation is coming from the warm house, eg drying clothes inside, cooking without extractors, gas heaters etc

Last edited:
The condensation is coming from the warm house, eg drying clothes inside, cooking without extractors, gas heaters etc
With the sides and front of the veranda open, it's very unlikely the source is within the house. Outdoor air contains a level of moisture that varies with humidity, once that hits a surface sufficiently colder than that of the air, condensation will be formed.

With the sides and front of the veranda open, it's very unlikely the source is within the house. Outdoor air contains a level of moisture that varies with humidity, once that hits a surface sufficiently colder than that of the air, condensation will be formed.
I was understanding it was closed in

Back