Outdoor Sensor Lights

N

niceone

I am having problems with outdoor sensor lights switching on in the wind. Our house is quite exposed to the elements and the product guide does warn that the unit cannot differentiate between strong gusts of wind and movement. Anyone offer suggestions ? Perhaps there is a 'heat only' sensor on the market somewhere ? DIY shop could not help.

We had this problem when we got the lights fitted originally. Besides the wind turning them on kids were using them for playing football quite late when it was starting to get dark. Electrician who fit them told us that there was no way of solving the problem! As they use quite a lot of power the constant on/off operation when its windy sure increases the bill.

Spoke to these people Michael Garry Ltd., 58/59, Bolton St., D/1 (01)8730055 and they were able to confirm that it was possible to fit an on/off switch. Its obviously not the perfect answer from a security point of view but it is another option to at least stopping the ESB bill running away with itself.

HTH.

These switches do opperate on "heat only" as you put it. They measure the infrared radiation emitted by everything in their scope of view.

They basically split the area they're covering into zones, and measure the temperature in each. They are triggered when a body of different temperature is detected to move between zones.

Wind blowing across the surface of the detector can alter the temperature of the device to such an extent that it interferes with these measurements and cause a false alarm.

Providing some shelter to, or moving the sensor to a more sheltered location would be the best solution.
Leo

Thanks Leo and sueellen for your advice. I have also sent an email to Steinel.de inquiring if they have a wind resistant product. Unlikely, but if I learn anything from them I will post result.

Back