Outdoor Security Camera Advice

Leesider32

Hi all,

We have an issue with a neighbour where we need to catch her in the act of doing something illegal. The gardai are already involved about other things she has done but having some video evidence on what she has started doing recently would definitely bring things to the next level.

We did get an external camera installed in the front of the house which uses the app gDMSS Plus and has a Dahua box however the new one needs to be at the back of the house. We need this at our bedroom window looking out and sometimes we may need to move it so don't want to have to go drilling. If I put a camera inside the window will it not pick up images outside at night due to reflection of the glass? Although I believe this is mostly happening during the day so may not be as big an issue.

Anyone got a recommendation on a camera to use? Doesn't have to hook into the gDMSS but would definitely help for video storage.

Thanks

Is this your neighbour by any chance? :oops:

Hi all,

We have an issue with a neighbour where we need to catch her in the act of doing something illegal. The gardai are already involved about other things she has done but having some video evidence on what she has started doing recently would definitely bring things to the next level.

We did get an external camera installed in the front of the house which uses the app gDMSS Plus and has a Dahua box however the new one needs to be at the back of the house. We need this at our bedroom window looking out and sometimes we may need to move it so don't want to have to go drilling. If I put a camera inside the window will it not pick up images outside at night due to reflection of the glass? Although I believe this is mostly happening during the day so may not be as big an issue.

Anyone got a recommendation on a camera to use? Doesn't have to hook into the gDMSS but would definitely help for video storage.

Thanks
Is the illegal act taking place on your property?

If not, you yourself could fall of the law if you’re recording images of other people without their knowledge or consent. Doesn’t matter whether their activity is illegal or not. GDPR apples.

Last edited:
Might be worth reading:

Clubman - nope that is not me

The activity is happening on our property, they have started to throw eggs outside our back door and the last one was thrown at our bedroom window. This happens while we are away so need to catch them in the act and from the angles they have come at if it is someone else they would be a long distance away with some very good aim!!

Gardai are involved on other matters as there is constant harassment from them.

I recently purchased a EUFY doorbell and video camera from Amazon- very simple set up - charge up the onboard battery which lasts for around 6 months per the material. Works on a sensor alarm basis (can also emit a siren on triggering which I have set for night time), and records for 4-30 seconds based on your settings, PLUS sends an alert to the phone so you can watch a live feed. All works off the wireless router in the house.

Really handy and simple kit, just screw in on wall and angle as desired, and can move at will - just the mount needs to be fixed, obviously not as good as a wired system with full recording but very handy and reassuring to check out whats going on.

50+o

If I put a camera inside the window will it not pick up images outside at night due to reflection of the glass?
If you use a camera with infra-red LEDs to aid night vision, then the heat from these will just warm the glass so you'll see nothing but a bright haze.

Is this your neighbour by any chance? :oops:
No it's not me but I like your thinking house beside me is vacant and I am not up to anything interesting at all unfortunately

I have the same Eufy set-up as 50andOut mentions, and would recommend it too.
They do indoor cameras which just run off USB lead, and would be fine sat on a window ledge inside, looking out. Reflection shouldn't be an issue.

I use this in my porch and in my kitchen. You can turn off the infra red if you need to. It's cheap but good quality. I also pay €3 a month subscription for longer clips. They are easy to mount using a sticky pad because they are light.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JY7K3SZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_BVW6RYPM8QWTM78SQ7VH

Back