Out of work benefits - Resigning from job

Scot Young

Hello
I am about to resign from my job, hate it and can't go on any longer.
Am I entitled to any out of work / job seeking benefits or am i barred due to resigning?
Single / substantial savings / no property / private tenant (Scotland)
Thanks

I don't think you qualify for social welfare due to possibly not having built up sufficient prsi if you have been living and working in Scotland.

I don't think you qualify for social welfare due to possibly not having built up sufficient prsi if you have been living and working in Scotland.

As per EU common market regulation OP should be able to take whatever benefits he'd get in Scotland with him when moving to Ireland. The exact details of how this work are different frmo country to country (as would be the benefits).
The way it "usually" works is that he gets his Scottish benefits paid out via the Irish welfare system.

Am I entitled to any out of work / job seeking benefits or am i barred due to resigning?
AFAIK if you resigned in Ireland you would have to wait 9 weeks before any welfare payments; if, however, you resigned due to stress which might be having a detrimental impact on your health then the 9 weeks could be waived at the discretion of Welfare; this is how it used to work anyway. I expect that if you can establish an entitlement to a welfare payment in Scotland this would be portable to Ireland.

You need to wait 9 weeks at least. Thats if you even qualify. Fairly sure the limit on being abroad is 6 months. But that may be non-EU.

Maybe get a letter from a doctor to say you have depression and need to leave for your own health. Its clearly affecting your mental well being. That could eliminate the whole lot.

Back