Out of contract - which energy provider is best?

Conor Pope covered the reduction in discounts on the Ray Darcy show around 4.20pm last Monday. Not sure if it is still available to listen back to but in a nutshell, he was basically saying that whilst it still pays to shop around, the days of the big discounts are over for now due to market volatility

@Protocol I've no experience of One Big Switch, I haven't used them yet but I will be looking more closely at them once my EI contract is up. I assume the figures on their website are true and accurate, they were updated after the Bord Gais price increase at the beginning of this month. This is a 33% reduction on BG's standard rates - I can't find any other providers giving that sort of discount to anyone.

I'm sorry I didnt see their Sky offer before I signed up with Vodafone recently.

People need to keep a close eye on their energy credit that we are due to get in November if they are switching now. Last year I switched provider a couple of weeks before the energy credit was due to be paid out. I was assured by my new electricity provider that i was in plenty of time and that the credit would be added to my new account. But it wasn't. After a bit of investigating we found out it was applied to my closed account of my old energy provider and it took a bit hassle to get that money in the end.

One thing to remember if you're a Bord Gais customer and your contract is up for renewal
Is that there is an extra 5% discount on top of the discounts advertised if you have been with them for 12 months
When I look at my offers from Bord Gais I'm getting a 15% discount instead of a 10%

Ok posted on another post but maybe better here

Ok tried the one big switch and they are saying the rates are below(currently not on smart meter plan)

image.png
So for standard user with smart meter who we use more at weekend and from 5-8 each night

Below are the Bord Gais rates

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/our-tariffs

So if reading correct then savings on the Urban Domestic standard is €1,637 (one big) v €2,127 (bord Gais) I am reading this right

So comparing to Flogas whom I have Gas with is Big switch best option

Including VAT

• 37.98 cent per kWh (Smart day rate)
  • 29.6 cent per kWh (Smart night rate)
  • 44.92 cent per kWh (Smart peak rate)
  • €338.89 annual standing charge
Is there anything I am missing or any hidden catches?

Ok posted on another post but maybe better here

Ok tried the one big switch and they are saying the rates are below(currently not on smart meter plan)

image.png
So for standard user with smart meter who we use more at weekend and from 5-8 each night

Below are the Bord Gais rates

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/our-tariffs

So if reading correct then savings on the Urban Domestic standard is €1,637 (one big) v €2,127 (bord Gais) I am reading this right

So comparing to Flogas whom I have Gas with is Big switch best option

Including VAT

• 37.98 cent per kWh (Smart day rate)
  • 29.6 cent per kWh (Smart night rate)
  • 44.92 cent per kWh (Smart peak rate)
  • €338.89 annual standing charge
Is there anything I am missing or any hidden catches?
The variations in standing charges are a sneaky one to watch for.

Back