Organic paint

H

Henny Penny

... I'm going to be repainting my hall and kitchen in the not too distant future. I am considering using organic paint. Has anyone used it before? Any brands you would recommend? Thanks

Henny,
There is a crowd in Tulla, Co Clare that supply organic paints and waxes from Germany. Biochrome tel 065 6835559. I think Biofa is the brand they supply.
The neighbour got some floor wax oil off them and was happy with it.
4 L of interior wall paint €32 according to price list.

I used interior wall paint (emulsion) from the German company AURO (www.auro.de).You can buy it in Dublin at Klee Paper,89 North Circular Road,Tel.01/8383544.Or from The Health Build Consultancy,20 John Street,Sligo,Tel.071/9150095.
Only positive opinion and experience,except for the price which is about twice of ordinary emulsion paint.You will enjoy the smell of it,something like lemon and thyme.Coverage is superior quality,better than most "competing" products from Dulux and the like.In the long term it is slightly yellowing due to the absence of optical brighteners.But this effect is not visible as long as you have no two streaks of different paints(AURO and Dulux for example) touching each other to compare with.
Even a trained eye would have difficulties to make out the difference if they don't touch each other.
The hard wax for timber flooring from the Auro range gives a far better result than the Ronseal stuff which I used in the bath not trusting the "organic" stuff since I did not use it before and had no one to ask.Next time I do the bathroom I will sand down the Ronseal stuff and replace it with hard wax.
As far as I have heard from others in the meantime Biofa and AURO are produced both to German paint standards,the most stringent -concerning performance -in the world.Biofa might be slightly cheaper,but check the total price and don't forget to haggle,tell the sellers what price the competitors are demanding for their products.
One thing:"Organic"is a protected term in the EU-concerning food products from "organic" farms.Diesel oil is organic as well since it is a non -food product containing carbon.The chemist calls every chemical containing carbon "organic".But AURO (and maybe Biofa as well) are using ingredients from organic (food producing) agriculture,for example food grade linseed oil,manufactured under EU organic agriculture standards.And that could be one of the reasons why there is a price difference between the two manufacturers.But both are considered to be honest companies,read the labels/catalogs to find out what is "really" organic and what is not.

Thanks

... for the replies ... I will contact both companies ... I would like to move away from toxic paints towards a healthier alternative ... thanks again.

There's a place just outside youghal, Co Cork that supplies clay paint. stoneware studios. just finished painting a room with it. great to work with. no offensive odour and great coverage. about 65euro for 7.5L i think

Hi,

We have use to AURO paints too with great success. You have to buy white,and then mix in your preferred colour, so make sure that you have enough to do a full room at a time, as you will never get different batches to match exactly.

It is more expensive, but I found that when painting coving, the normal paint took 3-4 coats before it was a solid colour but it was really ony 1-2 coats with the AURO.

The cost of the paint depends on how dark the colour you want. If you want a dark colour you have to buy more colour bits. We generally just but a mild yellow/cream everywhere.

And because it's organic you can eat what's left!

joke

And because it's organic you can eat what's left!

joke"

Surely drink or is there eatin' and drinkin' in it :rolleyes

Back