Options for Northern Rock Lump sum?

Matsugawa

Hi - like a lot of people on this forum who took their money out of Northern Rock, I've now got a lump sum sitting in a current account. It's not enough to do anything in terms of property (it's only about Euro 30K) so what are the best mid-to-long term options?

1. Invest in stock market? I only have an account in the US, which means converting to dollars which are on the slide.
2. Invest in managed funds, though the commissions are high and the returns are poor-ish compared to 1, and its riskier than option 3 below.
3. Move to another crummy savings account, with a slightly worse interest rate
4. Find an investment partner and buy a rental property?
5. Knock it off my own mortgage.

Anyone got any thoughts? I'm not an inexperience investor, but Im having a bit of a "rabbit in the headlights" moment after watching Dave McWilliams monday and the trauma of the Northern Rock/Wreck/Crock collapse

Welcome to AAM, Matsugawa. Have you checked out the best buys for deposit savings? Because
3. Move to another crummy savings account, with a slightly worse interest rate
isn't necessarily the case...

The longer-term solution depends on your circumstances, foreseeable changes in same, attitude to risk, etc. Presumably, other than the mortgage, you have no outstanding debt?

I would convert to euro/sterling and take hit.
Invest 10k in 3 separate UK companies with good diversification in their business. There is value to be had in shakey markets. Do your research and put it away for 3yrs....
That's what I would do anyway!
You could also take the guarantee of a rabbo account with a good return.
N

Back