Optic neuritis and life insurance

D

dublin06

I had a mild incident of optic neuritis recently, and am in the process of applying for life insurance cover with my spouse. We just found out that we've been declined cover for life insurance by one company, and think that this can be the only reason. We have another application active, and medical reports have been requested.

Is there anyone from the insurance industry on here who could advise on how to proceed? We are due to sign for our house shortly, and want to know whether this could prevent us getting our mortgage and being able to close our purchase. As there is two of us, would the bank accept a mortgage protection cover policy on just one of us?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just in case you were not already aware there is a clause in the Consumer Credit Act that allows for the waiving by the lender of the requirement of mortgage protection life assurance that is normally mandatory for owner occupiers. See section 126.2.b of the [broken link removed]. Not saying that this is necessarily the best or prudent way to proceed but it's worth knowing in case cover is difficult or impossible to come by. Note however that not all lenders will waive the requirement for mortgage piotection life assurance in such cases.

I'm familiar with the proceedure, as opposed to your medical condition.

If you've been declined or rated and are dissatisfied with the underwriting decision, your G.P. should write to the Chief Medical Officer of the Insurer and ask why. The Broker/Agent who acted for you should really have informed you of this.

A register is maintained of all rated/declined lives and simply applying elsewhere may not necessarily help. Be certain you include the declinature in any new proposal however. Some insurers will take a different view on certain illnesses.

P.M. me if you need any more info. on this please.

Regarding the insurance cover , have you been declined or postponed. Usually they postpone it until a full medical investigation has been done.
In my case they sent a letter to my GP explaining why I was postponed. I then had to get a consultant to get checked out. They wouldn't explain to me directly as they would only send the reason to my GP.
My own case was a kidney stone but until the consultant wrote a note saying xyz they wouln't insure me.

Get the reason first and then see what can be done.

In the meantime tell the mortage company and see will they proceed , we got our mortage with only one person insured but after a lot of hassle and numerous letters.

Has anyone discussed the implications of optic neuritis with you and why this may have resulted in the refusal of cover?

Back