Opening Savoury Treat Store

Spec

I am considering buying a business (savoury treat store) which lost a great proportion of it's business a few years from the effects of the smoking ban. It subsequently stppped doing business. What I am trying to do here is get an idea whether people's attitudes to the smoking ban have changed and whether the same business would survive today.

I don't understand why a savory treats store was effected by the smoking ban :confused:

I don't understand why a savory treats store was effected by the smoking ban :confused:

Is it because more people are eating meals in pubs rather than packets of bacon fries no that the enviroment is smoke free?
Or just because trade is down generally in pubs?

Thanks for the response guys. I guess trade was affected because people wanted to sit down with their snack and their cigarette.

I don't know anyone who enjoys a 'savoury treat' with a cigarette. As a former smoker, I never did myself.

Are you referring to coffee by any chance?

Thanks for the response guys. I guess trade was affected because people wanted to sit down with their snack and their cigarette.

Hey there Spec...
As with investing or starting any business you have do some serious research. I think your analysis of what went wrong here is flawed.
I have never heard or seen any correlation between people smoking and eating savoury snacks. They're actually thirst-inducing...that's why pubs traditionally sold them.
More likely it's the general hardship in the pub game and people being more health conscious that's hitting this business...have a look at what's in a packet of bacon fries sometime. Not good.
Best of luck whatever you decide to do

I think I need to be more specific. My apologies. Its a crepe cafe I am talking about. Not a pub.

I would have thought that crepes just aren't as popular in Ireland as they are on the continent.

I have never heard of anyone who feels a compulsion to have a crepe with his or her cigarette. Even in parts of Europe where crepes are popular the shop or stalls that sell them seem to have short opening hours. I think that high rent and insurance costs (and high fixed costs in general) in this country will mitigate against a business such as this.

Last edited:
There is a chain of crepe restaurants/cafes called Lemon which always seem pretty busy. I think the American Pancake Co. is still there too but not 100% sure about this? Doubt smokers are affected anymore than they are in any other type of restaurant?

Back