Opening a new joint current account - BOI / AIB / PTSB

confusedtech

I’m looking to know if anyone has recently opened a new joint current account with BOI / AIB / PTSB ? Im interested to know your experience of getting to a person, and the sign-up process ?

As an existing UB customer, I’m looking at switching before the panic begins to find another bank.

Going on the Best Buy recommendations on the site, PTSB seems to be the best value - wife & I both do our banking from a single joint current account, so we’d have no banking fees with PTSB.

With that said, my experience of trying to get to a human in PTSB has been terrible. I went into a branch with all my documents and asked to open a joint account. (They aren’t able to do online joint applications). I was told we’d have to come back when they ring us back with an appointment. Whether their staff are over loaded with demands, or not, they didn’t seem to be interested that we turned up prepared with all documents and ID - is it really that complex to set up a new bank account??

Overall the experience getting to someone to sign up has been poor, and that’s making me think if PTSB is the right move. If free banking means lousy service, then I’d rather pay the fees to have a bank that I can trust I’ll get to a person when I need to.

I’m interested to know if BOI / AIB are better or worse in comparison with their systems and customer service. Having never dealt with either, would you recommend either ? Or would you say that BOI / AIB / PTSB are all very much the same ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Back