Open fire fuel - Long term options for fuel

AndroidMan

I have an open fire but the fireplace needs replacing.
I know peat and smoky coal are banned, but what is the future for fireplaces as an option long term?
I dont live in the city but in a large town.
I dont use it often and am not looking for advice on other options.
My question is will open fires get banned in the future? Is there a decision made on this by the government?

An open fire is lovely and cosy, beautiful to look at and dream. However, that's about it, they're an absolute waste of money :cool: As for being banned? I think they are in new houses

Worth a read...

New amendments to the Building Regulations came into effect in November of last year touching on serious renovation and larger extensions to 25% of the building’s envelope. These new rules will see anyone hoping to keep an open fire, struggle to make it to a B2 BER demanded of the whole house on completion. The fireplace is being designed out of new homes.

Does anyone have a small wood pellet stove in their front room. We are thinking of getting one to move away from the open fire. Any opinions on the pros and cons? Are they more expensive than a multi-fuel stove?

Does anyone have a small wood pellet stove in their front room. We are thinking of getting one to move away from the open fire. Any opinions on the pros and cons? Are they more expensive than a multi-fuel stove?
Are you thinking of one that just heats the room, or one with a boiler? I don't actually know anything about them apart from what I read, never seen one in action either. Interested no more than yourself, as have 2 big open fires, with bloody expensive fireplaces.

I don't have one but have observed a few of them in differing scenarios; some thoughts on pro's / con's compared to conventional wood burning stove:
Pro's:
1. can be programmed to run automatically and can be controlled by a room thermostat
2. automatic start-up
3. self regulated fuel feed / temperature control
4. little physical interaction once fuel hopper is kept topped up
5. imo, more stylish than conventional stoves

Con's:
1. more expensive than normal stove
2. servicing and sourcing parts may be problematic in the future (a lot of them are Italian made)
3. fan noise in the room
4. fuel can be expensive especially if bought in bags rather than bulk delivery
4.1. where / how to store pellets
5. larger footprint than a standard stove
6. they need an electrical socket nearby

Thanks for the reply, yes my sister has one and had had a lot of trouble with it, and serious issues with getting a service man who is at the other end of the country. Others have said their great.
Pot luck it seems!

Back