Opel Vectra - Good or bad

D

ddelaney

Hi folks,

As you can probably see from my previous threads over the past week or 2, I'm changing my mind and looking around quite a bit.

The latest car I'm looking at is a 6mth old Vectra. It's spec seems very good and liked the feel of it on the road.

Anyone have one and if so how do you find it??

Hi D,

I know the feeling re changing my mind about what to get. Am in the same boat myself :)

From the few reviews I've read about the Vectra...good car. But if you're in that market Mondeo Zetec is much better. Personally (and I think I made a mistake buying a Primera) if I was to be buying a saloon in this category again it'd be Mondeo, the new Accord or the Mazda 6.

Are you tall or small.
I had one rented on holidays and while it was grand for the first few miles thereafter it was a pain as the middle (radio )console is too large so when you put your foot on the foot rest it is pressing on your leg.
Also the cup holder is in the arm rest and is too far back. therefore you are reaching behind you to get a drink, very dangerous when u are driving.
I wouldn't advise it al all.
Try Ford Mondeo.

I'd say there's nothing much wrong with a Vectra, apart from some ergonomic issues as posted, it's just the opposition is considerably better.

ddelaney said:
It's spec seems very good and liked the feel of it on the road.

Agreed. I've driven a few hire drive versions over long trips in the UK in the past couple of years, and it's a great car to drive.

However, when I asked around with a mechanic mate of mine when I was in the market for such a car, I was warned to stay away from it.

Primarily to do with upkeep and maintenance - either lots of small things go wrong mechanically, or a few major things go wrong. Either way, I was told that it was a nightmare to keep on the road.

As per other posts (of mine, and mentioned above here), I firmly believe that the Mondeo (new or old model) is the way to go if you're in the market for that sized car.

I used to be a great fan of Opel. My dad had an old Kadett & Ascona & the Manta was great. I'm showing my age.

Opel lost the plot somewhere in the '90's as they have been plaqued with problems. I know too many people who have had serious problems with Opels, even on new ones.

My choice now would be VW/Audi/Skoda

Had a various company cars in the UK doing 40,000 a year. Had one Vauxhall. It was crap - it broke down on the M4 with 1500 miles on the clock, took 7 weeks to fix (it was a new model and the tool required to fix the problem had not been issued to the dealers), came out of the main dealer fixed only to blow the diesel injector seals. Kept it for 4 months before an unsuspecting new field engineer got the car. I went for a Mondeo Zetec 2.0 with ABS & Traction control (Cheaper car) and never looked back. The Mondeo broke down after 110,000 miles (clutch issue) and was fixed in 24 hours. To me, Vauxhall or Ford...no brainer but in saying that I've just bought a new Pajero Sport to cope with Irish roads. It's a minefield - tread carefully - and get manufacturers warranty only - any other warranty is not worth the paper its written on....basically you get conned by the "wear & tear" is not covered clause.

A Mondeo beats the Vectra hands down.

Just to mention my brother in law has had a new issue petrol Peugeot 407 since it came out in '04 and has clocked up 25k of hard driving with no problems.

N Solo

Back